Domestic First Day

The smell of fresh eggs, toast, meat, and coffee made its way to Jade's bedroom, dragging her out of sleep and toward the kitchen. Her eyes open to the sight of Tori with a large apron wrapped around her bed clothes as she attempted to slide a newly fried egg from the pan to an empty plate. Even half-awake, Jade managed to sneak behind her girlfriend and lightly pinch her sides, causing Tori to yelp and almost miss the plate with her egg.

Tori carefully set the pan back on the stove before glaring back at Jade, who was biting her lip to hold back her laughter. "You know you were this close to eating that egg off the floor!" Tori fumed.

Jade scoffed, "You wouldn't make me do that; not if you don't want me to rub your avocado toast on my foot...again~"

Crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes, Tori simply replied with a curt, "Oh."

Jade gasped dramatically and reached to pinch Tori's cheek, "Aww, look at you trying to sound passive-aggressive like me~"

Tori swatted Jade's hand away then reached behind her to untie her apron, "Well, you know what they say. 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'" She winked as her voice pitched to the familiar accent Jade used, "Isn't that why you always tease me talking like this?"

"Oh, but I thought you don't talk like that," Jade smirked back, "So am I really flattering you if I'm not imitating you?"

Seeing that she was losing this battle of wits, Tori grabbed the plate with Jade's egg and started to tip it toward the floor, "Oh...don't look now! I think you're about to get some floor to go with your—"

Before the egg could slide off the plate, Jade suddenly closed in, grabbed the plate out of Tori's hand, and set it back on the counter before pressing a kiss to Tori's lips. She caught Tori's back with her other hand before it could make contact with the hot stove, but it didn't stop Tori's face from heating up from the surprise kiss. They may have promised Tori's parents that they'd be roommates before girlfriends in the apartment, but Jade was taking any little chance she could see. The kiss went on for a few seconds longer until Jade broke away and whispered sweetly, "Thanks for making breakfast, babe~"

Tori's hands went up to cup Jade's face and return the kiss, "Anything for my...roommate~"

Jade was exchanging glances between her laptop and Tori eating her toast across the table as the latter was catching her gaze and blowing a kiss toward her. "Careful, Tori," she chuckled, "Don't accidentally blow your crumbs at me, now."

With a slight blush, Tori swallowed her food and washed it down with her coffee. "What are you looking at there?"

"Nearby shopping centers," Jade made differing expressions with each search result, ranging from interested to disgusted, "I need new clothes and we need to decorate this space, don't we?"

Tori raised an eyebrow, wishing she could see what stores Jade was browsing through, "We're not gonna do a 'half-normal, half-goth' split of furniture right down the middle of this room, are we?"

"Oh, Tori," Jade scoffed and looked back at her with a smile, "This is our apartment! You know I wouldn't make such important living decisions without consulting you, right?"

Tori couldn't take the chance and walked over to Jade's side of the table, peering at numerous browser tabs of malls and shopping centers, catering to college-age students and pop-culture enthusiasts. A few bookmarked products made Tori nod with approval while others made her roll her eyes knowing they were clearly for Jade's benefit and not hers.

Sighing, she went back to take her plates to the sink and said back to Jade, "Alright, just make a list and we'll head out after we shower—separately, not together!" She quickly pointed back and emphasized the last word, knowing Jade would make a playful quip.