Glad to Have You

After the handcuffs were unlocked and tossed back in the room, the only thing stopping Tara from yelling even more and possibly throttling Jade was her empty stomach. Tori led her to the fridge to pick out something to eat while Nora was holding the University of Miami folder over coffee table in front of the couch, still reeling from what she'd just seen.

"How did my child go from loving the Wizard of Oz to tying up girls in her room like Jigsaw?" she muttered to herself.

"First of all, I'm not a child anymore," Jade retorted as she joined Nora on the couch, "And second, I wasn't trying to kill her, just keep her somewhere close; and for your information, Saw's overrated." She stuck out her tongue briefly before looking down at the university folder. "Well, looks like you're getting your wish for me, Mom...kinda."

"I'd be lying if I said I was surprised," Nora said as she leafed through the folder's various pamphlets and promotional materials, "Remember how the mailbox was always stuffed with colleges in California during your senior year? Actually, you probably wouldn't remember, considering the only 'mailbox' you pay attention to is on your phone." She stuck her own tongue at Jade and returned to peering over the folder.

"I mean, I got emails from them too, Mom," Jade scoffed, taking a few glances at the pictures of students gathered in classrooms, the campus grounds, and dormitories, "I even considered UCLA like some of our friends were, but then I started thinking...maybe it's not for me yet."

"Not for you?" Nora looked back up, staring at Jade's solemn expression, "What do you mean?"

"I...I just started reading more about how even college grads don't get a job in their field after graduating; how they're left with a crap-load of debt from four or more years of tuition, books, room and board, and I just didn't want that..."

"No one wants that, dear," Nora frowned, "But the world outside of school is competitive. I know that schools and degrees don't always guarantee a great job waiting for you after graduating, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try! Didn't that woman say you could qualify for a scholarship or advance credits from your classes at Hollywood Arts? That means you could already have a leg up on that track toward your career; maybe even Tori! Have you talked to her about it—or college, I mean?"

Jade shook her head and turned to see Tori trying to cheer up Tara at the dining table with little success, "Tori's got a good job now. She's been pretty much committed to Neutronium ever since she got the record deal offer in the middle of senior year, so maybe she hasn't been thinking about going to school...probably doesn't need it anymore."

"You don't know that," Nora objected, "What if she doesn't go as far in the music industry as she hopes, or she decides it isn't for her anymore and doesn't know what else she wants to do? At least having an education under her belt won't leave her in the dark if it all doesn't work out..." To Jade's surprise, she heard Nora softly knock on the wooden table as she said that. "Look, don't get me wrong. I love Tori, and she has my full support in whatever she wants to do; just like I support you and whatever you want. But, as a favor to me, could you both at least think about this, maybe more now that you've gotten this offer?"

Jade sighed and nodded to her, "Yeah, I can think about it, but it might take a while to get Tori's mind off of...that." She tilted her head toward Tori and Tara at the dining table, which didn't take Nora long to figure out what she meant.

Nora was almost considering joining them at the table when her phone rang with Piper's name across the screen. "Dammit, she has the worst timing today."

"Language in front of your daughter~" Jade smirked as Nora leered at her before getting up to answer her phone. As she walked out of earshot, Jade turned to the dining table again, trying not to let the other two girls know she was observing them.