Tori and Jade's First Date (Sorta)

According to Mason, Tori's paperwork was still being processed by the rest of the legal department and other producers at Neutronium Records, so before any real work could be done with her, he had given Tori free rein over one of the studio rooms while she waited. The room she was ushered into was empty and looked a lot like the conservatory back at Hollywood Arts, right down to the multitude of instruments scattered against the walls. Sitting down on the carpeted floor, she looked ahead at her faint reflection against the glass door into a soundproofed booth most likely used for recording vocals. Tori smiled as her mind was filled with memories of cramming for tests, randomly playing popular songs, and just making fun music with her friends back in LA. She started to wish she could see any of them again, to catch up on the hectic first week she and Jade have had in Miami. With a sigh, she settled for taking a selfie in front of the recording booth to share with them later.

Stowing her phone back in her pocket, Tori plopped down on the bench of an electronic keyboard situated next to the booth. Her fingers instinctively traveled to certain keys to play a set of chords she had memorized years ago for a past assignment. Closing her eyes, she started to play the song perfectly, her lips quietly moving as she recalled the lyrics. In her mind, she heard the accompanying instruments her classmates played as part of the assignment; a beautifully flowing violin accompanying her keyboard's melody, a bass that made up the lower range, and a drum set that kept the rhythm for everyone. The harmony of the piano echoing in the room and the other instruments playing in her imagination felt too good not to sing along to, so Tori began from the first verse:

I like your smile
But even introductions need to last awhile
Sometimes I don't know if I'm right or wrong
And in the end it seems like everything is worse when you're gone

She prepared for the chorus as it drew close, but another voice suddenly filled her airspace, making her yell and jump back—almost falling off the bench. Tori opened her eyes and turned toward the source of the singing; surprised to see Nora West leaning against the wall with a smile. "M-Ms. West! How long were you...?"

Nora held her hand up and motioned for Tori to continue, which she hesitantly did. The melody eased her back into the mood and they both sang the chorus together, Nora taking the lower harmony alongside Tori's melody.

There is no upper hand. I'm giving you mine
It doesn't have to end up wasting your time
There's things that I could say
But here in my way
I wanna let you know
That it's all okay...

As Tori exhaled slowly, her hands returning to her lap, Nora chuckled and shook her head, "Sorry about that. I just happened to be on break and thought I'd see what you were up to. You're quite skilled on the piano, Tori."

Tori blushed, instinctively brushing her hair back, "Oh, I've had lessons since I was little, but this song is kind of hard-wired into me after I had to memorize it for a school thing. You know, you sounded really good singing it! I didn't think you knew it."

"Why do you assume that?" Nora raised an eyebrow, looking slightly offended, making Tori double back and clear her throat.

"Oh I...I didn't mean you couldn't know songs like this! I mean, you just sang it so well, like you've heard it...a lot?"

Nora laughed to herself, taking a seat next to Tori on the piano bench. "I'm just messing with you! I only know this song because Jade sang it in her audition for the Platinum Music Awards. I remember how she kept stopping and restarting the song again and again until she got it perfectly in one take."