4 Years to the Day

A/N: This chapter takes place 4 years after the main chapters. Enjoy!

"We're almost through, Tori, just one more form to sign..."

"Okay...and...done! Sending it back to you, Ms. West. I appreciate you doing this, by the way!"

"I was with you when you started, so it's only fair that I be with you when you get out, Tori. And...got it! I'll make sure this gets back to Mason right away! As of now, you are officially a free agent; independent from Neutronium Records. How do you feel?"

"Well...how does one usually feel when leaving a record label after almost 4 years? Relief? Like a lot of pressure just got lifted off of me, only for it to pile back on when I think of what I'm gonna do after?"

"I'm sure that's a tomorrow problem, dear. For now, you should take tonight to celebrate! Isn't Cat and Tara's performance tonight?"

"Yeah, it is! I'm actually supposed to be meeting Jade at Nichijou soon..."

"Then get on it! And tell them I say hi!"

"I will! I will! But first...there was something else I wanted to ask you, if you don't mind."

"Of course, dear. What is it?"

Jade was the first of their group to arrive at the restaurant. She made her way to a table in the corner with a clear view of the karaoke stage at the center. Sitting down, Jade closed her eyes and let herself relax for a moment before taking out her phone. Her lock screen never failed to make her smile; a picture of her and Tori in their graduation gowns with Cat and Tara at their sides. She smiled not only at the photo, but at how well her new phone captured the colors and didn't cut any of them off in its traditional, rectangular screen. The photo was covered, however, by a sudden stream of text notifications from the group chat.

CAT: Jade! Are you at Nichijoe already?

JADE: For the last time it's Nichijou! With a U! And yes, I am. Got us a table.

CAT: Great! Ra-ra and I are heading over there now!

JADE: Ra-ra?

CAT: It's my nickname for Tara! I tried calling her Ta-ta before, but she quickly said I should change it...

JADE: Smart girl. Don't distract her while she's driving. She's still new to it.

CAT: Kk. What about Tori?

TORI: Sorry! Just leaving home now! Had to finish exit paperwork with Nora!

JADE: Uh...since when do you call my mom by her name?

TORI: Since...now? She told me to!

JADE: Why?

TORI: My rideshare's pulling up! Tell you later?

JADE: I'll be waiting. Drink requests?

TORI: Tea!

CAT: Lemonade for me and Ra-ra!

JADE: ...right. Driving. See you soon, dorks.

Jade wrote down their drink orders for the waitress approaching her. As much as she wanted something stronger than tea or lemonade, it wouldn't be in good taste (literally or figuratively) to be the sole drinker in a group.

With a sigh, she picked up her phone again and scrolled through her social feed. She wasn't as active as she once was, but to her, that meant that each tweet or post was something worth sharing, unlike the dozens of food pictures and daily (or even hourly) mood updates she saw so much in high school. Her most recent posts included the same graduation photo as her lock screen, an album of her leaning over a camera and sitting at a chair as she directed her last student film project, and a photoshoot of her and Tori from the university's student life newsletter; their first public account about them as a couple.