Chapter 2: Lost and Found

"Miss Devon!"

Sabrina stirred, her mind wrapped in a dense fog. She was vaguely aware that she hurt intensely all over.

"Sabrina!" the insistent voice called. "Wake up!"

We were on a Wayship, her confused mind thought. "Tirqwin?" she murmured. Tirqwin needed her. She had to wake up. Blinking, she drew a deep breath into her aching lungs.

"Thank the Crystal!"

"You're not Tirqwin," Sabrina said, her voice indignant but weak.

"No, I'm Ford," Ford replied. "Just lie there and breathe for a moment. I'll see about your brother."

"Scotty!" Sabrina said, trying to struggle up.

"Lie down!" Ford commanded sharply from a short distance away.

"Is he all right?"

"Knocked about and weak from oxygen loss, but otherwise all right," Ford replied.

Sabrina rested against the cool ship's deck for a moment, then lifted her head again. Her sight was steadier, and her breathing was getting easier. "Where are we?"

"In one piece, more or less, and for right now I'm satisfied with that," Ford said as Scotty began to come around. "If you can drag yourself over here and deal with your brother, I'll see what I can find."

Sabrina didn't feel capable of walking, but she managed a fairly steady crawl to her brother's side. Ford stood and went to the console. Sabrina was aware of him working with the controls; then he said, very softly, "Miah defend us."

"What? What is it?" Sabrina asked, alarmed. She struggled to her feet, supporting herself on the console. Then she saw what was on the screen and gasped in horror.

"What? What?" Scotty groaned. "Rina, whatsa matter?"

"Oh," Sabrina said brokenly. "Khediva...."

"Minimal power readings," Ford said, his eyes wide with horror at the sight of the battered Wayship. "But she is still generating power."

"We have to go over—do something—" Sabrina said.

"I'll go. You're in no condition," Ford said, heading for the transport capsule.

"No! Wait!" Sabrina said. "Not without an escort!"

"I work alone."

"Master," Rudolf said. "The transport system is inoperable until the power mains are repaired—"

"Not now, Rudolf!" Ford snarled.

Scotty staggered to his feet. "Let's get moving. Khediva may not have much time left!" He peered at the communications console for a moment, then laid his hand on a control and said, "Khediva, this is Scotty Devon. Respond, please."

Sabrina looked at the console blankly. "Are the long-range sensors working?"

"Yes." Ford elbowed Sabrina out of the way and went to work, his long, graceful fingers playing over the controls effortlessly. Sabrina watched intently, deciding to overlook his rudeness. Then, suddenly, he stopped. "By the Crystal! We made it to Shzhin Colony—and look! It's whole again!"

"Where?" Sabrina demanded.

The wallscreen focus shifted, moving Khediva to one side and showing a whole, verdant globe in the center. Ford frowned at it. "Rudolf, damage report."

"Sensors and navigational equipment operating normally. Hull integrity under autorepair; at eighty-three percent and rising. Ship energy generation at forty-four percent normal."