Chapter 20.3

Sabrina did a brief walk-through of her redecorated apartment, mostly with approval, while Ford sent Marie to retrieve Tristan. The cat was delighted to be reunited with Sabrina and demanded her complete attention for a while, so Ford listened to Marie's account of what had happened in their absence.

"And then a week ago Father came home and—"

"What?" Ford demanded sharply.

"Father came home. A week ago," Marie repeated impatiently. "And ever since, Mother's been down in Giandrah."

"Father's here? Where's Khediva?" Ford frowned.

"Oh, he's not here now. He left again. He didn't want to but something happened somewhere else. Kashmia said—"

Ford got to his feet, glancing at Sabrina. She hadn't been paying attention to their conversation, and she raised a questioning eyebrow at him. "He came back before we did, deliberately!"

"Who?" Sabrina frowned.

"Father! Scotty's down in Giandrah with Mother right now, apparently!"

Sabrina gasped and got up, much to Tristan's dismay. He let out an annoyed yowl. "Then—then we'd better go see—" She stopped, swallowing hard. It had been a week, and Mara evidently had not been able to help Scotty. That surely meant she couldn't. "No. I can't deal with this. You'd better tell her to stop before she collapses, Ford. It's obviously not doing any good if it's taking this long."

"I can't just barge in there and interrupt her," Ford mused. "I know. I'll call Aurora! She'll tell us what's happening."

"But I already told you!" Marie protested.

"Yes, and we appreciate it," Ford said, tweaking her nose. "But you really should be with your tutors right now, shouldn't you, brat?"

Marie sighed heavily. "I guess so."

"You'd better get back there, then," Sabrina said. "I don't want you to miss my oath-swearing ceremony, after all. And Mara said you could only come if you'd be good and not miss lessons."

"I know," Marie said in an aggravated tone. She rubbed at Tristan's head for a moment, earning a loud purr, then left.

Ford disappeared for a little while, then returned. "Aurora's on her way up. She was down in Giandrah with Mother. Evidently some progress is being made, but I get the impression it's very slow going."

Sabrina held Tristan in her lap, rubbing her cheek against the top of his head. "How can Mara be doing any good? It's not a question of healing, it's a question of reordering his entire mind. It's too big a job."

"For one person, yes. For the Crystal...well, who knows. And certainly his new genetic structure is far more sensitive to the Crystal than his old one."

Sabrina simply looked at him and shook her head. The Miahns always acted like the Great Crystal was all-powerful, but she knew better. It hadn't saved Shariara, or her children, or any of the countless millions who had died in the Xoentrol War. And if Sabrina hadn't been able to talk Homeworld into a temporary alliance against the Reissians, the Great Crystal would not have been able to save them from that either. Or from Homeworld.

Granted that Mara must be significantly more powerful now after a century of practice, but there were still definite limits to what she could achieve. Sabrina had seen her friend work miracles, but she couldn't believe in this one. It was too painful. How could she ever begin to work through her grief if she kept having hope thrust at her?

They didn't speak again until Aurora arrived. The Miahn glided into the room and gave Ford a brilliant smile. "Var! Welcome home. You look terrible."