Chapter 16: Uncharted Territory

Sabrina had been back at Dansestari long enough to know that even a private dinner called for different clothes than the casual ones she wore during the day. Suspecting that Ford was sick to death of formality, however, she chose the simplest piece in her evening wardrobe, a restful, understated pale yellow and powder blue dress that she suspected Yvalla wouldn't have been caught dead in.

She knew she'd guessed right when Ford opened the door wearing an emerald tunic and slacks set just a cut above casual. The color made his eyes look aquamarine, she noted.

"What a lovely sight you are," Ford said, waving her inside. She noticed that his smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "And punctual, too. A tremendous relief after all that political posturing at Bathir!"

"I contemplated being fashionably late, until I realized that little sisters are never fashionable," Sabrina replied. "Or at least, so Mira informs me."

"Please don't take her as your model," Ford said, leading her into the dining room.

"You've changed these rooms quite a bit," Sabrina observed.

Ford frowned. "Did you have occasion to see them before? I thought they were empty then."

"They were my father's rooms," she reminded him.

"Miah's breath!" Ford said. "I'd forgotten. I'm sorry."

"I like it. Much more modern and comfortable," Sabrina said. They sat down at the table, and Ford served them both from the platters of food awaiting them. "Did you cook this yourself?"

"Goodness, no. It's not one of my talents, and I didn't have time," he explained. "Has no one introduced you to our resident Royal Chef?"

"No, in fact."

"Well, after this meal duly impresses you, you might stop by to give him your compliments. He'd be thrilled. His name is Sarand, by the way," Ford said. "He tyrannizes his staff, but adores those of us with the taste to discern his genius."

Sabrina caught his grin and smiled in return. Then she put the first bite into her mouth, and her eyes widened. "You weren't being sarcastic!" she exclaimed.

"Of course not," Ford chuckled.

They ate in companionable silence for a while, until Ford said, "I'm glad to see you haven't been lying to me about your appetite being fine."

"Of course I haven't been lying to you, and even if I had been, this would tempt a stone," Sabrina retorted. "Did you come back just to check up on me?"

"No," he admitted. "As gallant as that might have been, I couldn't duck out on the Telurians without more reason."

"Why are you back, then? I assumed you must have wrapped things up in a flash of brilliance."

"Hardly. I'm not back, actually. I only stopped here on my way off planet."

"Off—"

"Father called me today. They've agreed on a timetable, and I need to leave now to be on Kaldoun at the appointed time. I can't take The Adventure, after all."

"No, I suppose not," Sabrina said, numb.

"I'm traveling on a courier ship. I'm trying to arrange to rendezvous briefly with Mother's ship on our way."

"When do you leave, then?"

"Right after dinner. I'll skip the sibling farewells; you'll pass along my good-byes, won't you? They won't think it at all odd of me to disappear. I've done it often enough. I've told Prime Minister Rassir I'm leaving, and Commander Mukryilla, and Aunt Imari. But I wanted to see you before I went."