Chapter 2.4

Scotty wandered over to watch with interest as the channel opened. An officer he didn't recognize answered the call. "Praxatillus Control here."

"This is Sabrina ya Tassan nar Hamilton-Devon. I need to speak to Prime Minister Rassir immediately," Sabrina replied.

The officer gaped. "Yes, ma'am! One moment, please."

"You're enjoying this," Scotty accused her.

"Don't be stupid," she replied.

Scotty only grinned as the screen flickered into an image of Rassir. He smiled when he saw Sabrina. "Lady Sabrina, greetings! Thank you for responding to our request for your help. What can we do to assist you?"

"I'm glad to see you too, Prime Minister," Sabrina smiled. "First of all, I just need some clarification as to who's in command of this expedition."

"If you feel you are the best qualified, then please feel free to take command yourself," Rassir said. "It is not my intention to place restrictions on your actions. You have demonstrated ample ability in the past. Is the prince causing difficulties? If so, I can arrange for Lady Imari to speak to him."

Sabrina glanced at Ford. He shot her a look of horrified desperation, and she hid a smile as she turned back to Rassir. "No, that won't be necessary," she replied. "He has promised his cooperation. Wayship Khediva and Lady Aurora nar Ruschar have also agreed to cooperate under my direction."

"Excellent," Rassir said. "You have wasted no time, as usual. Is Lady Aurora well? Her parents have been most concerned."

"She's fine, but she doesn't know where Mara is. We think we do now, though." She told him about Stanos. "We're preparing to go see for ourselves."

"You will want some backup," Rassir said. "We'll send the Fifth Fleet out to you. It will take them more than a day to arrive, I'm afraid."

"I doubt they'll be able to do much good, unless we can knock Stanos back into phase," Sabrina said. "Homeworld will probably also send someone to have a look."

"That is not a problem," Rassir assured her. "We no longer feel the urge to shoot one another on sight, Lady Sabrina. Thanks largely to you and your brother. Is there anything else we can do to assist?"

"I don't think so. Though perhaps you should send someone out here to keep an eye on Shzhin Colony now that we're all leaving."

"I shall do so immediately. Is that all?"

"Yes, I think so."

"I hope to be able to welcome you home very soon, Lady Sabrina," Rassir said. "Is your brother there? Commander Mukryilla asks to speak with him."

"Certainly. I hope to be able to come home very soon, Prime Minister," Sabrina replied. She stepped back so that Scotty could take her place.

Mukryilla's image replaced Rassir's, and Scotty saluted smartly. "Captain," she said, with a wry smile. She had aged more than Rassir, Sabrina thought, but then she had been younger to begin with. Her green eyes were sharp, and her voice crisp; she looked about fifty in human terms. "I wanted to officially inform you that you have been reinstated at your former rank and pay scale. Economics being what they are, that's quite a bit more than when you left. Have you found Major Ilyanan?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"You will put yourself under her command, naturally."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And try to come back in one piece, Captain. I'd like to have the opportunity to promote you, and I don't believe in posthumous promotions."

"Yes, ma'am!"