Chapter Thirty-Three

I ended up in a small white dress with a small brown belt around the waist, while Carson wore some khakis like Leo except Carson sported a sweater vest. He also gelled his hair so it spiked up more than usual which leaded to me making fun of him because he reminded me of one of those preppy school boys looking only half innocent while carrying a large stack of books. But I have to admit, it made him look adorable. And then he told me he didn't like the word 'adorable' but I ignored it.

The car ride to wherever this thing is held, was agonizing. My father and brother have a dispute in the front seat at which station on the radio to listen to. When I zone out of their conversation, I begin to think about this whole thing over again. Like what is the whole point of this? What is going to happen and why? Every time I would speak up and bring the topic into the air, no body would respond clearly amused by the fact I was clueless. I had enough so I turned to the window and ignored everyone when the tried to talk to me.

"Sara?" Carson nudged me with his arm. "Sara come on." Instead of replying I nudged Carson roughly in the ribs just like he had done to me except more rough. I had lost all the interest so speak anymore.

We pull into the parking lot of large stone building that looks more like a castle in my eyes. The detailing on the building is amazing. Around each of the oddly shaped windows are some kind of patterns and swirls giving the effect of vines growing on the windows. The stone that the place is made of itself is like a pale gray color similar to the gray clouds rolling in from the North except the clouds are more threatening. I gulp as we enter the castle- like building through the two front doors that tower over my head. This is far from what I'm used to.

Once we enter, it's a totally different setting then you would think. Instead of being dark and cold like some kind of cave, the room if filled with light, decorated to look exactly like a police station. It was quite the odd mix if you ask me. The ceiling is so far above my head that I would probably have to fly in a plane just to reach the top. Okay that's exaggerating a little bit but it's pretty close. Carson grabs my hand when a man dressed in a suit comes out of nowhere and greets my father. I pull my hand away as we start to walk, but this time Carson comes close and puts his arm around my shoulders. I want to turn and glare at him but I don't want him to see the red on my cheeks. We walk down endless hallways, stopping a few times so my father and 'reunite' with all his buddies until finally we reach a room that looks exactly like the court rooms you would see on television only a little more elegant looking.

On one of the benches of the right side sits my mother and Alan, both wearing orange. I am the first thing my mother sets her eyes on. She gasps and gets up quickly walking to me, holding her arms out. My bones are frozen and my mind is trying to comprehend what she's about to do even though I know what she's going to do. I look at my brother, his eyes are focused on her; I forgot that he probably doesn't remember her and now suddenly, this is how he meets her. Just when she is about to be sent to prison. I take my eyes back to my mother and at the last second, I release my grip on Carson's hand and walk into my mother's arms embracing her in a hug, something I have never done much.

"I'm so sorry." My mother whispers into my hair. I shut my eyes tight, keeping the tears in. Crying is the last thing I should be doing after everything that's happened. I should be happy that she's paying the price for what she did. And on top of that, I might learn things that I need to know today. Things that I didn't already know even though I did know a lot after coming to England.

I pull away and shake my head. My mother brushes some of the hair out of my eyes but I can't look her in the eyes, she could easily wear a fake pained expression for all I know, and then  would feel bad when I shouldn't.