Chapter Thirty-Six

My heart is alive with electricity. I feel so, so in control. I don't feel afraid and weak, like I don't have control over my emotions. After leaving Carson I found my father and we left before anyone could stop us. The whole car ride home I thought about the conversation over in my head.

"Then I guess I don't need you." I had said. Man, this is such an awesome feeling, why hasn't this free spirit of mine been released sooner? As we drive through the streets of London, I begin to think of Mason. Carson was right when he said that I have begun to let people in quicker, without even thinking about what could happen, but I guess that's a good thing. To me at least. It means that I'm becoming free. I deffinately feel free. Several red, two story busses pass. I see people on them, holding up their cameras to the sky capturing the beauty of the stone buildings and gray sky that has beauty to it even though it seems like a dull color.

I look at the backseat where Leo sits. He doesn't look back at me. By the way he sits, he looks tense. His shoulders slumped, his fists tight, his knuckles white. I want to ask him what's wrong, but I can't exactly think of any words that would persuade him into replying so I sit back in my seat and watch as we pass by buildings and other people walking along the sidewalks.

***

7 days later...

It's been a whole week since I've last seen or heard from Carson. The first two days were quite odd, his duffel bag had still remained in my bedroom. He never stopped by to pick it up or never tried to contanct my family in any way about it. To be honest I don't know what happened to him. So, on the third day, his things went into the fireplace.

It had finally begun to get warmer outside, and the snow has melted away until next year. I've seen Mason a few more times since the whole iterrogation, I've learned more things about him like he has a girlfriend named Elizabeth, but everyone just called her Beth. He told me lots about Beth. Things like she is kind of quiet when you first meet her, but in reality she has a bubbly personality. But she wasn't around as much as he would like because she went to college in Cambridge. I also learned that Mason is the youngest of 4 boys and 2 girls, that caught my attention and I nearly choked.

Everyday that I have finally adjusted to my life in England, I've been trying to get out into the world more, it's something I'm new at, and I'll admit, it's insanely scary, but I have been able to push myself through the difficulties. That's why today, Mason is going to give me a tour around England. I'm pretty nervous because I know there will be so many people, everywhere. There's so much I'm going to see and for once I can actually enjoy it because I' m here in England; I'm home and I'm here to stay.

Mason picks me up a couple minutes after eating sandwhiches with my father and Leo in an awkward silence. But before I can get my jacket and my phone, my father speaks to me in a low voice. "Before you go, I'm sorry things have been out of line between the three of us," I look down at my shoes nodding. "But I need to tell you this." He swallows his food and clears his throat. "Your mother is going to prision in three days. If you want to talk to her one last time, you can go in about two days time. But then that's it." I sigh and nod again feeling my stomach drop. And just as I thought things were finally getting better. Guess I jinxed it.

I start to walk away my head a little less high than it was before. "Hey," my father says, I turn around walking backwards. "Don't let this bother you, after this is over everything will be fine." But how can everything be fine? My mother is being sent to prision! Sure, I suspected something like that was going to be the consequence but honestly, is that supposed to make me feel better?

I go outside where Mason is waiting along with his car. I smile when I see him, he has a look of excitement on his face. "Hello, I'll be your tour guide today. Mason Lyndon."