2

Two Years Earlier

"Wake up, nigga! Wake up! Wake up, nigga! Wake up!" Mariposa's brother rapped to her.

She groaned and covered her face with the sheet.

First day of junior year. New school. New country.

Her parents thought that letting her live with her brother in Miami for the remainder of her high school experience would be good for her.

It was different from her Island lifestyle but she liked it. She missed her family and friends but she knew she'd be fine.

Though she was nervous about this new school, she made sure to show out on her first day. She took her time getting ready. Made sure her fit was looking right, her wig and edges were laid, and that she was  smelling delicious.

She skipped breakfast knowing she would regret it later, but she couldn't eat. She made herself some tea and headed to her brother's car.

•••

Her leg was involuntary tapping as she sipped on her tea.

"Ay stop stressin bout it." Her brother encouraged. "You ga be straight. It ain't that bad."

"You never been to high school in the states though. And college is different."

"Don't worry bout that." He laughed. "If ya day don't go good you can have that foreign when you get home."

"I'm taking it regardless." She whispered.

The statement made her remember she had some edibles on her. After a little debating, she decided she'd take it if things weren't going smoothly by lunch.

She spent the rest of the ride complaining about how confusing she anticipated the first few days being and how figuring out highschool back home was so much easier.

•••

"Ight, be safe." Her brother said pulling up to the school.

She reached over to him and they hugged.

"Good luck. Love you." He said.

"Love you too."

She stepped out and suddenly all eyes were on her. She hated the feeling but she quickly made her way inside so her brother could pull off.

Her goal for right now was to find a bathroom and look at her schedule in there. She'd seen enough movies and shows to know not to look at your schedule in the middle of the hallways.

As she made her way around she was impressed at how big the school actually was. She'd been for her entrance exam and evaluation but she didn't do much exploring.

Mari also made sure not to accidentally bump into someone. She knew her life wasn't some corny ass Wattpad story and she would end up embarassing herself instead of "y/n" fucking the shit out of her.

After what felt like forever she made it into a stall and got her schedule. She examined it for a few minutes then checked the time, remembering that she had to go to guidence councilor's office for 8. She had 10 minutes to get there.

•••

"Okay sweetie, since you're the only new Junior, you get Deaja all to yourself." The counselor said gesturing to the girl that was in the corner of the room.

Mari looked over to her and caught her rolling her eyes. Her heart started racing.

"She hates me already." She thought to herself.