8

After two sturdy hours of work, they two decided to retire for the night.

Boodah took a deep breath in and drowned in her scent

"Mari you probably sleep, shit I hope you is," he started. "But I fuckin love you so much. Imma do whatever it takes to earn ya trust... ya love... shit, you. Anything I gotta do to get you back in my life imma do it. And I wanna kiss that fuckin noggin a yours so bad right now, but you said we could only cuddle so imma just take this in."

He smiled to himself.

"I been talkin to myself a lot since you been gone. I been imagining you here with me n shit. Tryna keep myself entertained."

"Ay if you awake, lemme know cause this lowkey embarrassing." He said before pausing for a moment.

"Mmmm ight. Anyway, yeah. Lemme tell you bout this bullshit. Jayla keep tryna pop up at my place n shit every other day talkin bout 'Oh, we need this for the baby, we need that, ahhh it need diapers and shit.' Like duh bitch. That hoe still in your stomach and it ain't even mine. But I ain't say that for real."

"I wanna ask her to take the paternity test but ion wanna hear her mouth. But I might... Imma just do it when she pop up again."

"You gon be the only person I put a baby in for real when you forgive me. Soon as you say we good, I'm shootin up the whole school. Columbine in that pussy, girl."

•••

"Boodah, it does not burn. It's just tingling." Mari said as Boodah complained about the face mask she was putting on them.

"If you wanna dissolve my face jus say dat shit." He said crossing his arms.

Their weekend of hard work together was almost over, so they took the last day to relax.

"It just gotta stay on for 8 more minutes, okay?" She said reassuringly.

They went out on his balcony and he lit up a blunt. They hadn't smoked together in so long, so he was hoping she'd join him.

He took a few puffs before hesitantly passing it to her, scared the she would reject it.

She took it and did a long drag. Boodah couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face. In his eyes, these were baby steps to building their relationship back to what it was.

"It's been a minute since we did this, huh?" She said, almost as if she could read his mind.

"Yeah." He stumbled, then cleared his throat. "Das not za by the way. You know how that be having us."

She smirked then took another hit, "Yeah I know."

Before another thought could be had, there was a loud banging at his front door.

"Fuck." He blurted before putting the blunt out. "Go in my room. Don't come out, ight?"

She followed his orders.

He let out a deep sigh then opened the door.

"The fuck is on your face? And what took you so long to answer?" Jayla asked, pushing her way past him.

It took him everything not to lash out on her. He only kept him composure because Mari was in his room.

"Why you always bothering me? Don't you have pregnancy shit to do?"

"I'm here to plan the parties. You know, baby shower, gender reveal, photo shoots. All the good shit." She beamed.

"Jayla, imma stop you right there." He exhaled. "Ion think that baby is mine.

"The fuck did you just say to me?" She said screwing her face up.

"You know I ain't fuck ya raw." He said raising his voice. "And my condoms never failed before. All I'm sayin' is, I'm not helping you out with this shit anymore until you do a paternity test and prove that it's mine."

She was in shock.

"So you wanna be a fuckin' deadbeat? The fuck you mean it ain't yours? You the one who said you was gonna put a baby in me, nigga!"

"Last time I said that shit I was 16." He said flabbergasted.

"Fuck you, Boodah I ain't doing no fuckin paternity test. This look like Maury to you, nigga?"

"Youn gotta do shit, but I'm not gonna provide for this baby anymore. Now you can leave or I can call someone to escort you out." He stated calmly.

"You only denying your child cause of that bitch." She spat.

"Watch ya mouth."

"Nah ion give a fuck. Her nappy-headed ass the whole reason you left me in the first place." Jayla screamed, teary eyed.

"Nah, I left ya ass cause you a cheatin ass annoying ass person. And watch ya fuckin' mouth bout her." He said. "I wish ya child the best but I ain't doin shit else for it unless I know it's mine."

"I can't believe you choosing that black, fat ass hoe over me." She screamed.

"Get the fuck out my house." Boodah said as calmly as he could.

"Imma get that fuckin test! And imma prove it's yours! I cannot believe this shit!" She said as she stormed out of the apartment.

He slammed the door and locked it as soon as she left. He heard his room door open and turned his head to see Mari coming out.

She approached him as he sat down on his couch. She said nothing, but started wiping his face with a warm damp towel.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that shit." He said once she was done.

She nodded, still not speaking.

•••