14

He woke up to bright lights in his face.

"Hey there bud. I'm glad to see you awake." said a doctor in the room. "I'm gonna ask you a couple questions and run some tests. Sound good?"

Boodah nodded.

After minutes of questioning they began with the tests. He zoned out, and replayed the events from that night.

He could have been gone.

He imagined how heartbroken Angelo would have been. He was the only family Boodah had left and the only person he felt would truly care.

How would Jayla react? They'd only been together for a few months, but he clearly had a place in her heart.

And James...

He thought about what his father said to him while he was unconscious. Him and Deja were sent for him, and he almost left them.

Boodah snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a slight knocking on the door.

He looked up and noticed the doctors had left, but Deja was at the door.

He slightly smiled, then looked away in shame. She didn't deserve to see him in that state. They were basically strangers.

"This probably a dumb question but... how you feelin?" She asked pulling up one of the chairs next to his bed.

He let out a short laugh then shook his head. "I feel stupid. I feel selfish. I feel like I let my cousin down."

"I'm glad you're still here." She said patting his shoulder. "You really had us scared, especially Angelo."

Boodah's throat tightened and he shook his head.

"They was too scared to come in so I figured I'd keep ya company. So don't think they left or nothin'." She chuckled.

"Ion know if I can face him..." Boodah whispered.

"I know you can. You have to talk to him sooner or later. And I know for a fact he can't wait to see you."

•••

"I'm sorry." Angelo said, breaking the five minute silence between himself and Boodah. He started to break down.

"I shoulda never let you get into this shit man." He aggressively wiped his eyes. "I shoulda knew something was wrong wit you. I couldn't protect you. I failed you."

"Come here, dawg." Boodah said weakly raising his arms up. Angelo pulled him into a hug.

"It's not your fault. I did this shit to myself. And ion wanna hear nothin' different." He said seriously. "I'm sorry I did this to y'all."

•••

Two Years Ago

"Jayla... Imma ask you one more fuckin time." He said calmly, trying his best not to explode. "Who the FUCK... is this in the GATDAMN VIDEO WIT YOU?"

"My friend." She whispered, sounding like she was about to cry.

"I'll smack the fuck outta yo ass... You ready to die bout that nigga?"

"Okay, fine..." she took a deep breath. "It's Marcus."

Boodah's jaw dropped. Marcus was a dude a few years older than him who worked for his cousin.

Boodah smiled and got up to leave her room.

"You just killed dat nigga." He said slamming her door.

•••

"Ain't that nigga like 20?" Angelo asked Boodah after he showed him the video of his ex sucking Marcus' dick.