10. Aunt Mariah

I looked at Dimitri's Aunt. "Hazel, I may be old but I am no fool," she said as she turned off the stove. "Now tell me, is he treating you right?" asked Dimitri's Aunt. "Ma'am I-" "Oh please, call me Mariah," said Dimitri's Aunt. I nodded my head.

"I understand Dimitri is a bit rough but please, work with him. He had difficulties in the past with his past relationships and due to his medical conditions..."
Mariah stopped talking.

"I doubted that he would ever find someone but once he told me about you and that you carried his child, I was overjoyed,"
Aunt Mariah held my hands.
"So please, please, try to cooperate with him. On my behalf. Dimitri has always wanted to have a family and this is his only chance,"

I looked at Aunt Mariah's eyes. Something about them told me she was telling the truth and that she really wanted me to be with Dimitri.
I couldn't blame her.
Even one of the maids I met earlier at the safe house had asked if I was going to stay because she said that ever since Marshall and I arrived Dimitri's temper has lowered and his actions towards others are less aggressive.

I didn't understand but I was starting to piece up things. I really didn't want to do this but Mariah, the maid and Marshall. They all wanted me to stay with Dimitri.
If they were in my shoes they would've understood. This man kidnapped me and hurt me. Emotionally and physically and yet they are still asking me to stay.

I don't want to disappoint them but at the same time I want to follow my head.
I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "I'll try," I let out.
I opened my eyes and forced the tears not to come out.
"Oh thank you, so much," said Aunt Mariah as she hugged me.

I started regretting my decision but at the same time I wasn't.
I knew that going try to stay with Dimitri was going to be hard but I needed to.
If I somehow manage to get along with him I could be able to find out more answers and then find a better way to leave.
But for now...I had to play along.

I knew at the same time I was lying to myself, knowing that I was doing this to get away from Dimitri and not trying to stay with him but I was also doing this for Marshall.
He has to know who his father is.
So for the time being, I'll let get close to Dimitri and trick him into thinking we're a perfect family and then...I'll leave. With my son. Together.

I wouldn't leave Marshall in the hands of Dimitri. This man was a psychopath. He could do whatever he wants with Marshall. As long as he doesn't do anything to Marshall then me and him are on good terms...for now.

---

Dinner at Aunt Mariah's house was fine. Dimitri, Aunt Mariah and Marshall seemed to enjoyed themselves as I watched.
I couldn't speak because of what Dimitri said and I normally just avoided conversations.

Right now Dimitri, Marshall and I were on the way back home.
The car was silent, just how I liked it. The snoring coming from Marshall at the back brought back memories of when it was just the two of us.

I stared as the sun slowly drifted downwards and the stars begin to appear.
"You know...I didn't mean it when I said don't speak unless spoken to," said Dimitri's voice.

I immediately remembered he was here and I sat up straight.
I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to say.
Dimitri then placed his hand ontop of mine.
"Look Hazel...I'm sorry. For how I've been treating you lately."

I looked at Dimitri. "I know I've been acting like a jerk and that I've been treating you unfairly and I would really like to apologize. I would like for us to start fresh,"
The car came to a halt. "I want me, you and Marshall to be a happy together, as a family."

Dimitri stared into my eyes. "And maybe...just maybe...

we can someday become a bigger family,"