six ✓ golden onion

chapter ; six

title ; golden onion

act one ; twilight

Of course, Edward Cullen was standing by his stupid, ugly, Volvo. Isla hated his car, and the way he leaned on it like he was a famous person who had everyone falling at his feet. (Okay, he did have some girls falling at his feet.) But in all honesty, Isla did not really like Edward. He had seemed like a plain asshole when he had meet Bella, and so that was a good enough reason for herself.

And Isla preferred old beat-up trucks that were unusable, like Bellas. the girl who had given her a ride in the same beat-up truck she liked so much.

Bella and Isla look towards Edward who was standing across the lot. It had been a week since the two last saw him. Isla became a slightly protective friend and raised her eyebrows before staring, like she was challenging the vampire. The two had a heated staring contest until Edward "blinked". Isla cheered mentally, glad that she had won the staring contest.

Without letting Bella stare at Edward anymore, she grabbed the brunette swan's hand and dragged her into the school.

Isla's first classes were beyond boring and irritating. She had been called on all class to answer questions. Her second class of the day was calm and all she had to do was some research— along with Alice, who had given her a hair band at some point during the class.

The rest of her classes and lunch flew by without any problem. She had lunch with Alice, who had just sat across from Isla and smiled lovingly. Not that Isla noticed much, she was too much into the conversation they were having about the upcoming school dance and the field trip that was coming up.

Alice was more excited about the dance than Isla. The pixie shirt brown haired vampire would not shut up about the theme and what dress she was going to get. She had somehow convinced Isla to go dress shopping with her. Oh, how her uncle and grandpa would laugh at that.

═══════════════════

Isla was still in her locker by the time her last class rolled around. The girl had a pounding headache and was digging through her bag looking for some Advil. She had a feeling that Alice would have some if she did not, but if looking meant she got a chance to miss some class, then she was going to do that. The hallways quieted down, and Isla was met by silence. She dug through her bag for a few more minutes, not finding any trace of the Advil she needed.

Sighing heavily, she pushed her bag back into her locker, grabbed her biology textbook and shut her locker.

Isla knocked on the closed door. The teacher (whoever they were, Isla had not bothered to learn their name) opened the door with an unimpressed look. "Your late, miss Wilson." He opened the door wider, allowing the girl to enter.

"I know, I know." Isla looked up at the teacher since she was smaller by a large amount.

The teacher nodded their head and pointed towards her seat. Isla wasted no time and made her way over and sat down beside Alice. She saw her friend sitting beside her weeklong missing lab partner.

She didn't say anything as she pulled out a pencil and her notebook. Alice Cullen looked towards her lab partner, "Hi."

"Hey." Isla muttered, not even bothering to look at her. As much as she wanted to turn and smile at her own seating partner, she decided against it, not wanting to get into trouble.

"You okay? You seem like somethings up." Alice asked, her voice soft and quiet.

"Do you have any Advil?" Isla whispered.

Isla could see Edward talking to Bella out of the corner of her eye. She had no idea why he was talking to Bella, but Isla just hoped he was not being an asshole. She could see each other having a conversation between themselves, maybe it was because she's his partner, or because she's brand-spankin'-new, but again, Isla didn't have a single idea why the Cullen boy who didn't even talk to anyone, or anything besides his family was talking with Bella.

Alice digs through her bag and pulls out a bottle of Advil. She reached out and handed the bottle to Isla, her pale, cold hands skimming hers.

The teacher, Mr. Molina, or that is what Alice told Isla that his name was started to hand out some papers. "Onion root tip cells! That is what is on your slides. separate and label them into the phases of mitosis. the first partners to get it right, win... the golden onion!" Mr. Molina cheered. He excitedly holds up a spray-painted onion.

Isla just looks at him. She was excited by the challenge. This class has become my very favorite class now, Alice of course factored into that.

Speaking of Alice—Alice had grown so deeply to Isla that she had switched into her biology class. Alice was not originally in Mr. Molina's biology class but had switched so she could spend more time with Isla.

"Come on, people. Tick tock!"

Everyone starts to set up their work. Alice pulls the microscope closer to herself. "Me first!" Her voice is quiet and bubbly. She snaps the first slide in, adjusting the lens and wastes no time as she addresses Isla. "So, you've been okay lately, no bumps and bruises?"

"Uh, no, I've been pretty steady lately." Isla lies through her teeth; she had not been carful at all lately. You could tell by the still bandaged hand and Band-Aids that littered her body.

Isla was the girl who randomly found scrapes or bruises when she woke up in the morning.

Alice looks back into the microscope, "prophase." She says as she begins to remove the slide.

"May I look?" Isla asks, but that she did not believe Alice, she just wanted to feel helpful and smart.

Alice slides her the microscope before grabbing a water bottle from her bag. Isla glances through the lens before agreeing that is prophase. Isla hums before she grabs the water bottle that Alice held out to her. Alice wrote the word "prophase" on her paper in neat cursive—something Isla is jealous of because she has terribly messy writing.

"Do you like the rain?" Alice asks after a few seconds.

"I do. I like the cold. And the wet. And the big baggy hoodies and the puddles."

There is a smile playing one both girls' lips as she talks. Alice seems intrigued with the words that slip from Islas lips. She studies her, watching as her fingers tap lightly against the desk, or how she bites the inside of her cheek before the next words.

"What's up?" Isla questions once she notices that Alice never said anything back, and Alice was a very talkative person.

Alice shakes her head and turns to the microscope, switching out the slides.

"Anaphase." She says, watching as Isla snaps out of whatever she was thinking. Something even Edward could not hear.

"May I?" She asks teasingly. "Anaphase. guess you're right, Al."

Al. The nickname rolls off her tongue and Alice swears her frozen heart beats.

"Like I said." Alice smirks. She hands her the next slide, "So you moved here, right? You go the wettest place in the continental U.S, any reason why you moved here?" Alice asks, of course she knew why, she could see Isla before she even stepped foot out of her hometown. But she wanted Isla to feel comfortable telling her.

"It's somewhat messy and complicated. Maybe another time?" Isla murmurs as she continues to look through slides.

Alice nods.

Edward and Bella had ended up winning the golden onion. Isla thought it was cute and all, but she enjoyed hanging with Alice more than she would have liked to have the golden onion.