twenty two ✓ fixing up bikes with mark

chapter ; twenty two

title ; fixing up bikes with mark

act two ; new moon

Bella pulls up to the Wilson household, in the trunk of her truck is two motorcycles, one for herself and one for Isla. She had been told once or twice that Islas grandpa was a retired mechanic and who better to go to than Isla and Mark.

"Bells!" Isla comes running out the front door and into Bella's open arms. "It's about time you showed up!"

"I brought you something." Bella pulls the tarp back, revealing her neighbor's rusting, beat up motorcycles. "It's for us to work on, with the help of your grandpa. Hopefully."

"Scrap metal. You shouldn't have." Isla teased.

"I rescued them from the dump. They'd cost more than they're worth to fix... unless one had a mechanic-type friends grandpa."

Isla laughs, "Me, being the friend with the mechanic-grandpa?"

"Yeah."

Isla study's the bikes, "The parts alone will be pricey."

"I have a college fund I can dig into."

"Hold on, we can half and half. I get one you get one." Isla offers.

"It'll be fun!" Bella grins helping Isla move the bikes out of her truck and into the Wilson's backyard.

════════════════

Motorcycle parts are spread out on blankets. Mark and Isla move them around excitedly, piecing them together like a puzzle. Bella watches.

"If we're going to be working on this every day, we should probably include some homework. Don't want the your grandparents to think I'm a bad influence on you." Bella comments and for what seems like the first time, her words are happy and full of light.

"You influence me? Please." Isla playful scoffs.

"Homework's a good idea girls." Mark sends the two a pointed look — they will now being doing homework.

"I am older than you." Bella points out.

"Age ain't nothin' but a number."

And I convinced you, to convince your grandpa to build us two-wheeled death machines." Bella pointed out with a wide smile.

"God, you're right, you're like Satan..." Isla says in sudden mock horror.

════════════════

Isla liked to think that her and Bella were a vampire dating duo. Bella of course an ex-dating vampire. But still.

The two girls had many sleepovers, and sometimes, more than Isla wished, Bella still woke up screaming and in cold sweat. Isla would hold her best friend, comfort her, do whatever she needed. But she wasn't prepared for what would come tumbling out of her mouth soon enough.

Isla is sleeping beside Bella, the two having a sleeping over. A scream rips itself from Bella's throat and Isla shoots up to shake the girl beside her awake.

"You're alright, Bells. You're okay." Isla soothes and Bella opens her yes, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Isla helps Bella sit up and grab a glass of water from her bed side table. She pulls the dreamcatcher from Bella's bedpost. "This thing's not working very well." She mutters angrily, she had gotten Alice to make it for Bella.

"It's... not as bad as it was." Bella muttered.

"It's okay, yknow. To be upset and have a hard time." Isla smiled sadly at the girl she thought of as her sister.

"I know. Issa? Can I ask you a question?" Bella looked to her lap.

"Of course."

"Why are you sad? Alice left you too."

Isla didn't even think. "She didn't. I see her once during the weekdays and once during the weekend at Cullens old house."

Bella gasps sadly. "What?"

Isla slapped a hand over her mouth, "fuck. Bella I'm sorry."

The distressed human shook her head. "No. It's okay. I-I understand that Alice and Edward are different people. And, uh, Edward is gone. And that's okay."

"It is?"

"Yeah..."

════════════════

Bella drives along the La Push cliffs. Isla rides shotgun. She studies a grease, blackened motorcycle crankshaft that her grandpa had sent the two to get.

"We got lucky at the dump. You know how much a new crankshaft goes for?" Isla looks up from the part to glance at Bella.

"Sure, I spend all my free time on crankshaft-dot-com." Bella mutters sarcastically.

"Bella, I know Edwards gone, but I'm pretty sure that's a porn site." Isla replies and Bella only smiles with red cheeks. The mention of Edward not affecting her as much.

"These bikes are gonna be rolling soon. Where should we ride first?" Isla asks, changing the subject.

"Someplace sunny." Bella mutters dreamily. "

"Like there's any place sunny around here."

"I know a place above the cloud line."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. You'll love it."