Chapter Three - Innocence

~1947~

Once the family has finished with lunch, Elayne looked at her mother expectantly.

"Mama? What did you want to talk about?" She asked.

Tina fidgeted in her chair for a moment before releasing a sigh. "There's really no easy way to tell you all this but..." She shook her head. "They found Maddison and Gwen. Or rather... They found their remains."

Eli's hands curled into fists. "Do they know how they died?" He asked, his voice almost as quiet as a whisper.

Glancing at Newt, Tina drew in a shuttering breath. "The ministry expects foul play."

Tears filled Elayne's eyes at this news. "So, they think that they were... That they were killed? Someone did this to them?"

"Yes." Tina said nodding slowly. "When they examined the remains, they found no signs that they had died due to the elements or anything like that. From what I read in the report... There were signs that both girls had been tortured."

"Tortured? Oh Merlin..." Elayne whispered, the tears leaking from her eyes.

Eli slammed his fist down on the table.

"Eliyis." Tina warned.

"No, mom!" Eli barked. "Two of my best friends were tortured and killed! I have to be on the team that finds who did it. I have to be the one to punish whoever did it. I won't be able to sleep until I know that the sick bastard is behind bars or better yet, dead!"

Tina ran a hand down her face. "Eli, I know that you are eager to join the ministry and become an auror. And I know that you want justice for your friends, but it's not all going to happen overnight." She glanced at Newt before continuing. "While the ministry has your application, they still need to see your NEWT results before hiring you on. And then you have a whole lot of training you have to go through before you can even go out and work a case."

Eli huffed and stood up, his chair scraping against the floor. He then stormed out of the pub, not caring about all the eyes that had suddenly turned towards him.

"I don't see why he cares so much. They deserved it." Leon spoke up.

"Leon!" Tina exclaimed, staring at her youngest son in disbelief. "Don't say such things."

"What? It's true! Elayne almost died because of those two or am I the only one who remembers that?" Leon spat, standing from his chair as well.

"Sit down." Newt said, speaking up for the first time.

Leon shook his head, scoffing. "No, thanks." He then stormed out, going off in the same direction that Eli had.

Tina's eyes became watery as she watched him go. "I don't know what's gotten in to him lately. He seems so cold, so distant."

"He's just growing up. He'll break out of this phase sooner or later." Newt tried to reassure his wife.

"Eli wasn't like this! Elayne wasn't either." Tina sniffled, rubbing a hand down her face.

"It'll be alright, mama. Leon has always been the type to do his own thing. Maybe his smart attitude is just him grieving. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he was friends with them too." Elayne said.

The trio sat in silence for a moment before Tina finally sighed. "How are things with you, Laynie? Have you made any further wedding plans?"

A small smile worked its way onto Elayne's lips. "Well, this morning, Tom and I got to go see Tiernan's manor. The back courtyard would be absolutely perfect for the wedding. The only problem is that it needs some heavy attention."