Chapter Six - Heartless

*1947*

The next morning Elayne was walking around Diagon Alley with Olivia. Tom and Tiernan still hadn't come home, so Elayne had asked Olivia if she wanted to wander around for a bit.

"Did Tom even say what he was going to Albania for?" Olivia asked.

"I told you! He went to get some kind of artifact for Mister Borgin." Elayne said, shaking her head.

Olivia hummed, not fully believing that that was why Tom had gone. "If it was just for a simple artifact, why did Lestrange and the rest of his lackeys go? It doesn't add up to me."

Elayne sighed, giving her friend a look. "Why are you always so against everything that Tom does?"

"Are you really asking me that, Elayne?" Olivia asked, eyebrows pinching together. "He is so not good for you. You just can't seem to open your eyes long enough to realize the spell he seems to have you under."

Elayne scoffed. "Olivia! Tom does not have me under any kind of spell."

Olivia stared at her friend for a moment before looking away, shaking her head.

"You and the rest of the girls are all so against Tom." Elayne began. "If you hate him so much, then why did all of you agree to go find a wedding dress with me? Why help me plan out the wedding at all?"

"Because you are our friend. We love you, Laynie. And even though we all hate Tom because he's absolutely no good for you, we can tell that you're happy. We don't want to take that away from you." Olivia said, wrapping her friend up in a hug.

Sighing, Elayne hugged Olivia back. "I know Tom can come off as an asshole, but with me, it's different."

Olivia pulled away, flashing her a tight-lipped smile. "I'm sure he is."

"I should get home. The boys will probably be back soon." Elayne said, bowing her head, curls creating a curtain around her face.

Olivia shook her head. How could Elayne not see that Tom had made her this way? It was as if he had trained her. It made her sick.

"Alright. I'll see you soon, yeah?" Olivia asked, shaking off the look of disgust she had on her face.

"Yeah." Was all Elayne said before she disappeared.

~*~

As she walked through the front doors, Elayne was greeted with the soft sound of people talking.

A smile lit up her face as she rushed towards the library, where she assumed they would be.

When she entered, her smile grew wider.

"You're home!" She exclaimed, rushing over to Tom, who was standing by the table.

Tom caught Elayne as she flung her arms around his neck. He closed his eyes, resting his head against hers.

Elayne smiled up at him. "I missed you. I thought you would have been home before I came back."

Tom hummed, one of his hands stroking up and down her spine. "It took longer to figure out the exact location."

Elayne nodded, resting her head against his chest. Her eyes fluttered closed as she listened to the rhythmic thumping of his heart.

"Were you able to find a dress for the wedding?" Lestrange asked from the other side of the table.

Lifting her head, she flashed him a smile. "Oh yes! It only took four shops, but I was finally able to find one. I saw it and instantly fell in love with it." Elayne looked up at Tom. "I can only hope that you'll like it as well."