Chapter Twenty Two: Puppy eyes

I woke up with a headache and a pale face. I studied my surroundings and realized I was in my tent. I got out and realized it was early morning probably 6:00 am. I picked my phone to check the time when I realized the battery was dead. Great. 

I heard sounds in the forest and realized someone was awake too. The branches shuffled even more and Tristan walked out. Suddenly, I remembered my emotional breakdown last night. I internally groaned and thought of looking for a shovel to dig up my own grave and burry myself. 

He cleared his throat. "Hey, morning sunshine."

I tried a smile which I am sure came out as a grimace. "Hi."

"Why are you up at this ungodly hour? I thought girls love their beauty sleep." He chuckled.

I studied him for a while. He hadn't brought up whatever happened yesterday. Surely he'd want to taunt me about it. 

He seemed to have read my thoughts as he came closer to me and put his arm on my shoulder.

"Look," He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as I stared at him completely speechless. "Everyone has a right to cry once in a while. In fact, if you didn't I wouldn't think you are normal. You are not nothing, you mean everything to a lot of  people. And I can't force you to trust me or anyone else but I will just tell you I am here for you, we all are... And we aren't whoever hurt you in the past. Sometimes you need to give life another chance because that's the only way you will keep moving on. Your smile is precious, Ella...keep it on. Don't wallow in the past but focus on the good things you have now." He kissed my forehead, smiled and walked away.

I was angry. Angry at myself for allowing those negative thoughts to get into my head,  angry at that negative spirited goddess in my dreams for appearing, angry at my friends for being awesome and generally caring and angry at Tristan for letting me cry on his shoulder, giving me a deep inspirational speech, complimenting my smile, kissing my forehead and then walking away. 

I internally groaned and decided to get myself prepared to head back home. 

******************************************************************************

"I still can't believe you two kissed in public!" I exclaimed. Apparently, Jake was feeling courageous yesterday and in the middle of the campfire sing along, kissed Ava who kissed him back. This is Jake Castellan and Ava Thompson we are talking about. The humblest and quietest of the group. 

"Yeah, well that's two more people down, four more to go... officially." Val mused.

"So... I realized you and Tristan weren't at the bonfire yesterday, so what did you do?" Audrey asked with a knowing smile.

"We simply walked and talked and took a bunch of pictures and went to sleep." Tristan said. 

"What did you talk about?" Audrey asked.

"California!" Tristan said while I said "Astronomy." It's stupid but it's the only thing I could come up with.

Tristan and I locked eyes and we changed our answers.

"Astronomy." He said as I said "California."

I stared at him and narrowed my eyes.

"Astronomy and California." I answered.

The rest of the group seemed to be looking back and forth between me and Tristan. 

"Well, we better get going or we will be lost in the woods." I said breaking the growing silence.

*****************************************************************

Emma hugged me tight as I reached home.