Chapter Twenty Five: The light before the darkness

Zoe Danforth's arrival broke the school, I don't mean depressingly. Her arrival at the business awards put a stop to all fun anyone was planning on having. Why? Because she was all over her Trissy poo bear. Uggh, it made me want to eject anything I had ever eaten in life.

At school on Monday, the whole school was talking about her... I mean I had no problem with that but still, at a certain point, it was unnerving.

"She is going to ruin everything," Audrey complained. Quite frankly, I was surprised the girls weren't elated to have their girl pal back. On the contrary, they were depressed at the mere reality. Maybe it was the fact that she was all of the place or that she was too clingy, I don't know but I equally found her annoying.

"You know, I think I am going to eat at the bleachers today, anyone wanna join me?" Val asked.

"Honestly, I'd rather stand yours and Ty's lunchtime grossness than 'Trissty I got cupcakes for you!' Barf!" Audrey said with an eye roll.

"Guys, we are so stupid!" Val said.

"Speak for yourself." Ava snorted.

"No we actually are, all this time we have been complaining about how Zoe has affected our lives, we haven't asked how Ella is doing, she must be the most affected," Val said.

At this, I looked up from my timetable. "What do you mean I am the most affected?"

Ava snorted, Audrey chuckled and Val rolled her eyes. "Girl, Audrey showed us the pic of you two at the business awards." Ava pointed out.

"What? What picture?" I asked eagerly.

Val got out her phone and showed me the picture. It was of me and Tristan dancing... and almost kissing before Zoe showed up. Trust me, that moment was wired onto my brain from that night but I tried as much as I could to not think about it. Even though that silly voice at the back of my head kept asking

What if Zoe hadn't interrupted?

This morning, I managed to get it out of my head by keeping myself busy with school work, and yet here Val was showing it to me again like 'hey remember this, the moment you tried to forget about so easily? Remember?'

I cleared my throat and turned to my locker.

"I don't see your point," I said.

"Come on, don't act stupid. Don't you ever wonder whether Tristan and Zoe are going to get back together? Whether he'll forget about you so easily? I know you feel terrible deep down and it's useless not to admit it because then, it'll just be killing you even more." Audrey said.

I slowed down trying to search for my books to consider Audrey's words. What if I just become one of Tristan's has-beens? No, this is silly Ella you were never together in the first place. So why are you feeling mildly depressed on the inside?

"Look, Tristan and I were never together in the first place, we were always just friends and... and if he and Zoe decide to get back together, who am I to come in the way? My opinion doesn't matter in their relationship." I said.

"Ella, don't do this to yourself," Val said.

"Do what? I am simply stating a fact aren't I?"

"Ella_"

"No, really guys stop. I am okay... well as okay as all of you maybe even better." I told them.

"Ella_"

"Oh look, I have French next, Au revoir see you at lunch," I said grabbing my books and scurrying off to class.

**************************************************************************