Chapter 9

A visitor

It was all dark around. I couldn't even see my own body. Nevertheless, I could hear my unsteady, stressed breath coming out of my mouth giving me insurance that this person was me, that I was truly there. All of sudden, something started being discerning in the darkness. This shadow approached me even more and no matter how much I tried to distinguish its features and understand who that person was, it was to no avail.

It was watching me, but on the other hand, I couldn't even move my body. I could only feel it trembling. After it turned away and started leaving, I wished to go after it. It was like something inside my heart pushed me to do it without me knowing. I extended my hand and screamed at the top of my lungs:

"Wait, don't go!", but even if I opened my mouth and pronounced this phrase, no voice came out of my mouth. I only stared at the shadow getting consumed in the darkness and disappearing. After I was left alone, the ground disappeared too and I fell into the vast dark.

I opened my eyes in shock. I was laying on my bed in the same room with the other three girls and Annie. It took me two minutes to be able to move after this deep sleep and I got out to take a walk and relax without making any noise.

It was cold in the hallway because the sun hadn't risen yet. Moving around like a ghost while everybody was still sleeping. I stared out of the window as small rays started being visible behind the buildings. I smiled slightly at this sight and thought about what it would look like if I was watching this sight in Paradis.

~**~

Sitting beside Emily as always and peaking up the rig of my gun, I was constantly reminded that I would experience whatever I had seen in Zeke's and Reiner's memories. I just recalled myself opening my grandmother's sewing basket to start sewing whatever cloth I found with colorful threads. She should have punished me for my bad habit that cost her money, but she never did. Like a nanny who fawns over her grandchildren.

Used to sew carefully with my small, delicate fingers, it wasn't difficult at all to do these small changes on my gun and finish the exercise.

"I am done", I announced to Magath who was passing by to inspect us. He nodded his head without congratulating me even if I had finished first and others were still struggling.

"Sir, can I redo it, so I can learn this exercise better", I asked him showing him my cute side. He accepted and left my side to turn his back as he was going to his desk in front of us.

"Pssst", I whispered and Reiner had already turned to look at me, but I also got Pieck's, Marcel's, and Bert's attention while Porco and Annie were watching with one eye. I started doing the exercise all over again but slower this time after I emptied my gun by its equipment. Whenever Magath turned his back as he passed by us, I showed the moves slowly without talking so whoever was watching could keep up with me. After the viewers, including Emily, finished and called Magath, I finished too, later of course on purpose not to show any signs that they copied me.

~**~

Her eyes closed by instinct as she hit the ground again.

"Are you ok?", I asked Annie as I offered my hand to help her get up. Without answering, she took my hand. 'She looks so cute and beautiful and perfect and...", I thought to myself but I had to stop because Annie took her position to attack me again. Unfortunately, Magath interrupted us telling me to train with Galliard.

"Train with Galliard?", I looked confused unable to understand to whom he was referring. I said goodbye to Annie to search for Marcel. "Out of my way, Pork", I told to Porco who blocked my way.