Chapter 19

A seashell held by a boy with dreams

I dug my head into the glass staring with wide-open eyes at the necklace displayed on the vitrine. Moving away from it, I took a step forward. A few minutes, I trenched a place in my pocket to put the small box.

The four horses were pulling the carriage as people screamed, shouted, and applauded us. Besides Reiner, Bert and Marcel, I was waving at them. A glorious goodbye to the selected Warriors for the Paradis Operation. A moment of festive happiness, bliss and glory before everything started getting tumbled.

'Just kill me already...', my head was screaming as I kept smiling too much out of awkwardness.

"Dad! It's you, right? Mom used to work in these barracks before I was born!", Reiner opened the door. "That's where you met her! Karina Braun! Look at this! Mom and I are Honorary Marleyans! We can all live-".

Once again he failed miserably to notice the man's expression as he talked.

"Bloody hell! Did that woman send you here?! To get revenge on me?! Shit! Now her kid's a Warrior"

Reiner's face couldn't be recognized. Only darkness without any trace of light had covered it with its veil.

"If they find out where you're from-". His words were cut off as his face leaned on the left with brute force.

"I'm sick of all of you...", I looked down as I stood as a shield in front of Reiner still having my hand hung in the air.

"Good parents lose their children on the battlefield...", I looked into his eyes thinking about the Paradis and each person's eyes after being informed by the remaining Survey Corps soldiers that their child got eaten by a Titan... "And you live on dirtying the world!!! Hear me out. I won't repeat myself. Speak to Reiner or any other Eldian in this way again and I am going to find you", I pulled his collar to bow him to my height, giving him this threat as I stared at him with furrowed, expressionless eyes.

"Let's go Reiner", I turned to him. Thankfully, he had gained his natural color back after being awakened by me. Taking his hand, we got out, but before leaving, I turned to his father again...

"Ah... And just because I am merciful... Tonight... don't turn off the lights. You don't know what lurks in the darkness", I smiled creepily freaking him out so much that he trampled down.

"What am I going to do now? I don't have a father...", Reiner whispered after I left his hand free. "It doesn't matter, right, Antonia? I am a chosen warrior entrusted with the armored titan. I'll save everyone from the island-"

"Reiner, we are going to make the right choice. That's what matters!", I put my hand on his shoulder giving him a reassuring smile.

In the harbor, plenty of people were already there still cheering for us.

"So, leader of the operation, with that smile on your face, are you planning not to return alive?", Zeke stood in my way.

"Don't you trust me?", I asked him.

"No"

"Neither do I. Why would I trust myself? I just need to make things work out. That's all", I said smiling.

"Pieck", I shouted and ran to her side to hug her while Porco stood still by her side with his hands inside his pockets.

"Like I don't exist...", Porco whispered.

"Jealous...", I looked at him and pulled him in a hug. 'Where is Annie?', I searched her with my eyes and saw her coming our way with her elegant, bored expression, accompanied by Emily. Without realizing it, they were pulled into the hug too.