Chapter 11

A cold warmth

The breeze crushed against my body as I climbed the steep cliff. I turned back to watch my followers moving behind their leader -me. I was the one to lead so all the group would ascend and descend the other side of the cliff before the sun went down. My gaits were sloppy because of immense boredom. In a while, we would reach the pinpoint of the cliff. The grey clouds were hiding the leaning sun behind the mountain. Only a weird yellow color of dust was left behind mixed inside the cloudy sky signaling that it would start raining and wetting us if we didn't take refuge in time.

"Antonia!!!!", I heard Reiner calling my name and passing by everybody else. He would probably be among the last of the followers with Emily keeping a slow pace if he hadn't left his post. So why was he being in such a hurry running to reach my side?

"What is it?"

"Emily...". He stopped to take a breath and rested his hands on his knees. I waited patiently for him to continue.

"Nina broke Emily's ankle and she is unable to move. She is not going to-

Cutting him off, I started slipping on the wet ground because of yesterday's rain.

"Marcel you take the command from here!", I ordered him and he nodded obediently.

Everybody knew what Reiner meant. 'Whoever doesn't reach the foothills on the other side before the sun sets will be disqualified', Magath's words were still vivid in my mind. The laughter of Nina and her friends woke me up. They were passing me heading to the top of the mountain.

"You!". I grabbed her collar and threw her to the ground. "If Emily gets disqualified because of you, I am going to make you spit blood, beg for mercy wishing you would never enlist in the Warrior Training!!!!".

"I really want to see you trying...", she grinned breathing out a burst of laughter on my face.

I passed her quickly. I had more important things to deal with right now than her... I kneeled in front of laid Emily who was trying to hold back tears of pain.

"It's going to hurt a little... Bite this with all your power", I gave her a branch and she bit it with her fangs. The sound of a crack to place her ankle back to its place made her scream silently biting even harder the branch in her mouth.

With rapid movements not to lose valuable time, I wrapped it with a bandage and using the ropes which I also took from my bag, I put her on my back and tied her to my body so I wouldn't need to exhaust my hands by holding her on me. I placed my bag on my chest and her bag with our guns was tied by another rope on my leg following us like a puppet.

"Antonia, why did you come?", she asked me as she buried her face in my back as I was striving to climb the cliff.

"You are my friend and I treasure you. I don't want to lose you... Isn't that enough to make me come back to you?".

My eyes sparkled by the hidden water inside them that would not slide yet.

In the pinpoint of the cliff, the sun's rays escaped the clouds and lighten us giving me hope to continue for a split second, and hid again, afraid of their guards. I looked at my side. A tree had collapsed and broken because of last night's strong rain. A thunder would have probably cut it down as it cut it out of life. A big piece of wood was like a lamp in my head bringing me an idea.

"I have an idea. A little dangerous but it will be worth the risk..."

"Great. And we are going to get killed", she interrupted me.