Halloween

TW: referenced Abuse

Song - Halloween - Phoebe Bridgers  

______________________________

  (Three years ago) (They are sixteen)

Nick held back Frankie's hair as she threw up into the toilet of some low income frat house. After a couple minutes of shaking over the toilet, she lifted her head out and collapsed onto the wall next to her. She wiped her mouth with her sleeve and stares at Nick for a moment looking absolutely spent.

"Don't eat the nachos." She warned him with a small laugh. "Not a good idea." He raised his eyebrows and stood up next to her. He reached down and offered a hand.

"Yeah I can see that." He replied. She grabbed his hand and pulled herself up. They left the bathroom to see the party still continued like normal, not noticing their throw up session by the toilet. The party was trashy, too many people in a small house, getting high, getting drunk, or more likely both. It was Halloween, that meant an excuse to relapse for many or to just get high again like most days.

Although it was a party for Halloween, no one wore costumes. Maybe they saw it as too childish and they were more mature than that. Or maybe some just didn't want to be reminded of what they used to be. Frankie liked to believe it was the first one for her, trying her best to brush the latter under the rug. She grabbed Nick's hand from where he stood behind her and she led them towards the exit of the place.

Smoke hung in the air, visible through orangish-yellow lighting surrounding them. They stepped over a few people passed out on the floor and made it out of the building. Just as they were going to walk in the front lawn, Nick stopped her.

"Forgot something. Be right back." He quickly said and disappeared back into the home. Frankie shrugged and kept walking anyways, knowing he'll catch up. The sun was still out, just about to go down and left a nostalgic scent in the air that couldn't be explained. Kids passed by every so often in different costumes. Some as ghosts, skeletons, and even a few trash bags. Neighborhood wasn't exactly rich.

Frankie went to a parked car and leaned up against it on the side of a street. Halloween decorations were strung up in the trees on both sides of the road going down dozens of blocks. It was quiet. She put a cigarette in her dry mouth, and took out a lighter to light it from her jacket.

Just as she flicked a flame near the cigarette, she's stopped by a voice getting closer.

"Wow Frankie Miller, the influence of the year." Nick said in a sarcastic tone, with his hands in his pockets. He stopped and leaned on the car next to her, still laughing to himself. "You know there are kids, like all around us?" She flicked the lighter back on.

"Screw them kids." She said through one side of her mouth, the other holding the smoke and muffling her. She smiled back once it was lit. He looked at her with mild disappointment. "What you forget?" She asked. He pulled out a string of the orange battery operated lights that were in the house that they came from. Her eyes widened.

"You steal those?" She gestured to the cluster of bulbs. He nodded. "They're gonna kill you." She scoffed at him knowing they'll most likely be in debt to some dealer now. She took a puff from the smoke and blew the gray cloud out from her mouth and nostrils. It blew in one direction off to the side from the small breeze.

"They're too high to notice." Nick reassured. Just as he said that a few guys came out of the structure and pointed at the two. They yelled from a distance then started walking closer. Nick stuffed the lights back in his pocket and Frankie tossed her cigarette off to the side onto the concrete. The two both immediately ran down the street. They were in fact not, too high to notice.