Rescue

Frankie sits out on the deck gazing out across the water. She rests in what seems like silence from an outsider, but her loud rushing thoughts keep her busy. She thinks about Travis and Alicia. What could be happening to them. It worries her awfully. Her hands get shaky pondering these ideas. She's interrupted by a splashing noise a few feet out.

      She jumps to her feet and looks around frantically for a source of the noise. A figure in the water can be seen waving their arms around for help. Frankie turns back to the inside of the boat.

     "Hey! Someone's here! In the water!" She shouts. She waits a moment but no one comes. She gives a sigh and then reaches down and pulls the person up by the arms. They lay face down on the deck unmoving. Frankie grabs their shoulder and flips them over onto their back.

     She jumps back and gasps. The person didn't have a face. Not in the way where their skin was gone, no, they have skin over their face. But it is smoothed out, with no eyes, nose or mouth. Frankie screams in shock and falls off her feet. She scooches backwards. Nick runs up to her, and crouches down.

    "Frankie, are you okay? What happened?" He asks. She turns her head at him.

     "They-they-" She looks back at the person she pulled on deck. No one is there. She points at the ground where they were. "They were right there, I swear-"

      "No one is there Frankie. No one was." She looks back at him. She whispers now.

       "They had no face." Her eyes are wide. Nick pulls her into a hug. He let's go and holds her hand.

       "Let's go inside." He whispers. She nods. He helps her get on her feet, and guides her almost like someone would a blind person. She sits at the center table. Nick takes the seat next to her. She notices the few guns on the table.

       "What were you doing?" She asks.

       "Oh, it's not important right now." He turns himself closer to her, giving his full attention.

       "It's fine. I want to help."

        "You don't have to-"

       "No, no it's fine." He pauses looking in her eyes, trying to read her facial expressions. He then grabs a gun.

      "Well, I was loading all of them." She nods and takes one. They sit in silence loading them. Real silence. Not the eerie kind either, the peaceful kind. Madison stomps down the stairs behind them.

      "Don't pull that shit again." She scolds, talking about the short trip they had both gone on.

     "Strand said it would be quick." Nick explains, setting the gun down.

     "Then Strand should have gone. Nick, Frankie, what were you thinking?"

      "We don't really mind it out there. Honestly." Nick defends their decision.

      "We have enough problems. Please don't add to them. Okay. Don't worry me like that, you two."

      "I'm sorry." He mumbles. Frankie clicks the gun. She looks at it squinting. Madison glances over to her.

     "You're getting comfortable with that."

      "I'm really not." She replies quietly. Madison leaves the room. "Let's go downstairs. I want to see our prisoner." She says with a frustrated face. Nick nods. They go down below, and find Chris talking to Reed, their hostage. Chris seems angry by what Reed is telling him.

      "Hey, you okay?" Nick goes up to Chris and asks. He closes the door to Reed. Frankie is a few steps back.

      "You all right?" She questions.