The Lies We Promise Each Other

Troy is down talking to Ofelia, while Frankie leans up against the concrete wall outside of the underground pantry. She has her green military uniform on, but a black jacket layered on the outside of it. The hood is pulled on and a pair of black sunglasses are resting on her nose. She crosses her arms and stares down at the bushes in front of her.

           It had been a few hours since Troy had finally gave in and given her the tablets. The effects were still mildly lingering, so she kept the glasses on to hide her eyes. Not only from the sun but from anyone who might notice the dilation, in other words in case Nick showed up. Troy steps out from the bunker and shuts the door. He turns his head over to her and sighs with an annoyed expression.

          "Do you really just hate yourself that much?" He asks. She doesn't move her eyes away from the plant and ignores him. "Answer the question, Frankie. Let me know you're at least still conscious." She giggles to herself darkly. He steps closer to her and grabs her shoulder.

          "Fine, fine I'm here. I'm here." She whines and pushes his hand off of her. She stumbles slightly, knocking herself off balance. "Why do you think I hate myself?" He rolls his eyes.

         "Because you insist on needing the stupid fucking pills. You always take more, and you never stop. It's killing you slowly, and you know it." She nods her head and starts laughing to herself again out of anger, offended by his call out.

         "So that's it, now we're degrading the druggy, I get it." She lowers her voice. "I'd yell at me too. I'd hate me too. Hell, I'd throw me away." Then she raises her arms up and presents herself like she's in front of a large crowd, and loudly announces her next sentence. "In fact I'd probably kill me now just to get rid of the problem." He grabs both of her shoulders and makes her look directly at him.

        "Calm down, okay? We don't want to draw attention to ourselves." He whispers, and glances around the area to make sure they're still alone. His worry about her getting found out is becoming more obvious, yet the high makes her oblivious. "You know what? Just shut up and go back to staring at the bushes." She lowers herself onto the dirt and crosses her legs.

        "Fine. I'll sit here then." She pouts. Madison can be seen walking out behind some trees on a nearby pathway, She heads directly to the two.

        "Great...." Troy quietly mumbles to himself. Now he had to get Frankie to act sober for this conversation, or convince Madison that she was. That would be a difficult task. He tries to point the subject away from the girl on the ground next to him. "Your friend Ofelia's either lying or very stupid." He laughs to Madison, as soon as she reaches them.

       "She's her father's daughter. She's not stupid. If Walker's gonna take this place..." Luckily for Troy Madison's mind was definitely not on Frankie at the moment. He didn't like her lack of hope however.

       "Try to. " He reassures her. His confidence in this community is something Frankie can never understand.

       "Try to..." She agrees with him. Frankie scoffs below them. She knew what Madison was trying to do. She was agreeing because she was trying to persuade Troy of something. They both glance down at her for a second, but continue ignoring her. "She needs to be on what she thinks is the winning side."

       "Shouldn't that be our side, with you? I mean, you guys have a connection." He shrugs, not getting Ofelia's abandonment to the Clark's. The Clark's were a strong family, and if someone happened to be allied with them it would be wise to stick around.

       "In her time with us, the world ended, her mother died, her father went mad, burned to death. I'd say Ofelia's for herself." He raises his eyebrows, shocked by the amount of trauma unloaded onto him just by being told the story of a single person. Although Ofelia used to know them, anyone next to Walker he considered a threat in his eyes.