You Cry Together, I Cry Alone

Frankie's POV

        The car ride was long and depressing. The guilt had become a lingering taste on her tongue. Bitter and gross, making her gag and filling her with the desire to puke. She slams the heavy truck door shut and steps down onto the gravel road. Jake's voice is heard up ahead by the front cars, off of Otto's porch.

        "Congratulations, you just declared war on Walker's nation." He sarcastically shouts. "Joe, call the patrols! Watch for perimeter breaches! They could be right behind you." He walks down the wooden steps off the deck and glares at the twenty militia men before him. Rage flashes behind his eyes. He was so close to making a deal to end the conflict, but Madison had other plans. Troy struts past Frankie up to Jake, slightly brushing her shoulder.

        "They weren't, and the mission was successful. We got the girl." He points to Alicia nearby. She just glances back and forth uncomfortable with the plan she was dragged into. She goes up to Madison.

          "I can't believe this was your idea." She says and sighs annoyed. A look of betrayal is placed across her face. Madison tilts her head.

         "You were in danger." Of course Madison's motherly instinct to protect her kids takes over. She did what she thought she had to, but that still may have been the wrong decision.

         "Not till Troy showed up and started killing people!" Alicia raises her voice. Jake places his hands on his hips and stares at the ground. He heavily exhales, disappointed but not surprised.

        "How many?" He asks.

         "Eh, four, five." Troy estimates shrugging. Troy didn't seem to care about the bodies they left behind. He never really did.

         "It wasn't just Troy killing." Alicia steps forward and points back to Frankie in the crowd of people. They all turn their heads to examine her. She's covered in blood and grime. Her mouth partially opens, trying to find the right words but nothing comes out. She's hurt by Alicia calling her out like that, in front of everyone. Like she wasn't embarrassed enough.

        Instead of keeping her attention on Alicia, Madison, Troy, Jake, the crowd, she turns her head to the side, to Nick. He's standing a few yards away with his arms crossed and a glare directed at her. Her eyes widen and she shuffles backwards, trying to escape her situation. She hated the expression planted across Nick's face. And the soul crushing part is that it's meant for her.

        She turns herself around entirely and runs away down the road, disappearing into the darkness of the night. The rest of the conversation was most likely just going to consist of Madison and Jake arguing and it would go nowhere, so she might as well leave. Frankie rushes to the public bathroom building near the center of the community. She sprints inside and grips the edges of the nearest porcelain sink.

       Her breathing accelerates quickly, and her fingers squeeze the white shiny material harder. Her head lifts and her eyes meet with her own in the mirror across from her. She sees herself. More than she has in a long time, maybe even the first time she ever has fully. The thought of that breaks her.

       She sobs uncontrollably, wailing out to god or anyone who will listen. Not a word is made but the sounds of a screaming child form from the depths of her own throat. A child who's terrified from the monster they've just seen. The monster who's been hurting them, taking their life. The difference for her is her monster is herself.

        "Please, I don't want it." She yells. "I don't want this to be me. Please, please." She loosens her hold on the sink and slowly falls to the ground. Her body scrunches into herself as the weeping gets more intense. Curling up into a small ball on her side.