My Twisted Self-Help

Frankie trudges along the dirt pathway to where the pantry is. Madison had told them about it, how many things were stored down in the bunker. How many guns. If the community here decided to kill the Clark's they could, which kept Frankie slightly on edge. She told Nick and Otto she went here to get more supplies for the house, but Nick knew that was just a cover up to check out the pantry. She gave him a look only he could recognize as the 'you know what i'm actually saying' look.

      She runs her hands along the heavy metal doors, searching for a way to open it. The sun beats down on her, the only thing making the heat bearable is a small breeze passing through. Luckily she managed to avoid interacting with any of the people on the path and was alone now. Or so she thought.

      "So, what're you doing?" A voice jokingly asks behind her. She turns around awkwardly.

       "You caught me." She half-jokes. Jake's eyes meet hers a few feet away. He smiles unexpectedly, instead of scolding her for snooping.

      "What're you looking for, Frankie?" He steps closer and pulls out his keys. He unlocks the heavy door.

      "Nails. Ran out of them." She quickly lies. She had always been a great liar. That's what being a druggy will get you. He pulls it open, and they both step inside.

      "How about, I give you the nails, and you tell me more about Alicia." Frankie raises an eyebrow, but smiles back from the surprise.

       "What do you want to know? Also, why do you want to know?" She questions. He chuckles a little. She follows behind Jake, leading her through the many shelves. The bunker is a lot bigger than she'd thought it would be. The rows of lights and supplies seem to go on forever. "Did you have sex with her?"

     "It was more of......she had sex with me." He corrects her and opens a drawer.

       "So you thought that it would be a good idea to talk to me about it? Nick knows her better than I do."

     "Well, I wasn't sure if he was the 'overprotective older brother' type, and I knew that you being her sister-in-law would sort of automatically make you a little more relaxed about the situation." He explains pulling a box of nails from the drawer. He hands it to her. "Could you not tell Nick by the way?"

     "Sure." A moment of silence passes and Frankie thinks of how to respond to his question. "To be honest, I don't even know how Nick would react if you told him this. But if you want to know more about Alicia, you should just talk to her more. Me and her, we got each other's backs, but I don't know too much about her life before the world went to shit."

      "Well, what do you know?"

    "I know she's a good person, and she wants to help people the best she can. She's very capable of making the hard decisions, even with her big heart. People might say that I'm strong, but when comparing myself with Alicia I don't even come close to strong. She's the real fighter. So don't piss her off." Jake nods understanding. Frankie spins around and walks out of the bunker with the nails in hand.

      "Thank you!" He calls out and she disappears from his sight. Frankie starts thinking about all of the weapons she saw in there. Fighting them if it came down to it, didn't seem like an option anymore.

---------------------------------------------------

     Eventually, Nick and her managed to finish fixing the house by nightfall. It may not have a roof, but it never rains in southern California anyway. The walls and floor are cleaned up and look liveable, despite the lack of doors.