This Partnership Goes Both Ways

"And there you go." Frankie sets the scissors down on the table beside her. She gives Nick, who's sitting in a chair in front of her, a small handheld mirror. He slowly examines the new, shorter haircut given to him. Shortly after he had helped her trim up her hair, she managed to convince him to let her do the same.

       "I like it," He compliments her, nodding. He sets the mirror down on the table. There's an abrupt knock at the door interrupting the exchange. Frankie quickly strides over and opens it. Madison stands there with a spaced out face on the porch, lost in thought.

      "Hi mom, what's up?" Nick says loudly from the chair so Madison can hear. She looks over at him, immediately becoming present again.

      "Just wanted to check up on you. Nice hair." She replies to both of them and steps inside the small home. "Have you heard anything on where Alicia might be?" Her tone suddenly shifts to a more serious, nervous one. They both shake their heads no. She sighs annoyed. There's a momentary pause. "Do I have to worry?"

       "About Alicia?" Frankie squints confused, shutting the front door.

       "No, about you two in the militia." She clarifies her question sharply. Nick just shrugs, and glances between them.

        "We'd rather back the militia when we're attacked than hold the rear with the old-timers." Frankie nods agreeing with his statement.

       "If there is...an attack. You gonna go back-to-back with Troy?" The conversation quickly seems to become more and more similar to an interrogation, rather than a friendly talk. "He's dangerous."

       Frankie thought about that statement. Dangerous. Madison was right, Troy can hurt people. He's killed people without second thoughts on regular occasion back at the military base. That is dangerous. But haven't we done similar things? I've killed people. I kill out of self defense and Troy does it for a more messed up reason........but does that matter? At the end of the day it's the same outcome. People are dead.

       Her thoughts are cut off by Nick's justification for their partnership with Troy.

      "Keep your enemies close, right?" He stands up. Madison opens her mouth about to talk, but yelling down by the gate interrupts her. All three run outside to it. When they arrive at the gate they can see Jake and a woman walking up to the entrance. They meet them out there.

      "What? Ofelia?" Madison asks, in shock. Placed in front of them was the Ofelia. The Ofelia that Frankie hadn't spoken to since they prayed together back at Celia's. Before the place broke out into flames and burnt to the ground. Before Frankie lost another part of herself.

       "Oh my god, Ofelia." Frankie mumbles to herself. Ofelia studies her with wide eyes, as if she's looking at a ghost.

       "Frankie, I thought you were dead. You were locked in where the fire broke out." She tilts her head while speaking, as if she was trying to figure out if the person in front of her was just an illusion. "My father, did you see him? Did you see him get out? Do you know if he's okay?" Frankie shakes her head 'no'.

       "I saw him start the fire. Then I looked away to find an escape, and I don't know what happened to him after that." Ofelia looks at the ground disappointed. "I'm sorry."

      "It's fine. I had already thought of him as gone anyways." She goes quiet and takes a step back, out of the conversation.

      "What the hell's going on?" Madison asks with urgency to Jake.

      "Alicia followed me to Black Hat." He tightens his grip on the strap of his backpack, bracing for a scolding from Madison.

      "What happened to her?" She gets more in his face. He puts both of his hands up reassuring her.