Chapter 1 Meeting Baji Keisuke

** Image above is Kurosaki Ayato's appearance. 

April 2, 2004

The sounds of school bells signaled it was finally time for lunch. The first day of my third year of middle school and I was already over it. I got up from my desk, taking out my packed lunch I had prepared for myself the night before.

"Oops. My bad," I heard a boy mockingly say a few rows ahead of me.

I heard the sounds of books as they fell to the ground. There were three boys towering over the new student that had just started this year. Even if it was a new year, it was obvious that this boy had not been with us the last two years. He was a fresh face.

"Oh, no problem," the boy said in a friendly tone.

The boy had slicked back hair in a ponytail with thick looking glasses. He seemed like the perfect target for the bullies of this school.

The three boys laughed at him.

"So listen, nerd," the leader of the three said, "This is how things go around here. You are going to be our little errand boy."

I was now next to the seated boy, staring at the three that stood in front of them.

"What the hell do you...?" the boys froze the second they saw me, "Ah. Oh. It's y-you, Kurosaki-sama."

The bullies at this school thought that using such an honorific would appease me but it only annoyed me.

"It is the first day back and a new year," I start with the same emotionless expression I had since I was 8. "Already you punks are giving me a hard time. Did you idiots forget I exist or something? That this school is my territory?"

"W-wha. We were just making friends with the guy," one of the other guys said.

"Yeah! He doesn't have any friends yet so- So we were just-"

"I don't want to hear your excuses," I cut the leader off, "I am not blind nor deaf. I saw and heard it all." I took a step forward causing them to take a step back. "This school isn't for you to bully other kids. It is a place of learning. If I see you trying anything again I won't go easy on you. Take that as my warning."

"W-we're sorry!" the leader said as he bowed his head. The other two followed in his example. "I swear it won't happen again!"

"Don't apologize to me. Apologize to him. And pick up the books you knocked down while you are at it."

They quickly picked up the books and apologized several times before running out of the classroom as fast as they could.

I had established a reputation ever since I had turned 12 years old. It had been an accident on my part. I had never meant to make a name for myself. I never meant for things to go as far as they did. But it was moments like these that were worth it. I was able to protect the students of this school from bullies like those three that thought that they were the shit.

"Thanks," I turned my gaze down to the boy who was still seated at his desk with a pen in his hand. He had what I assumed was a thankful grin on his face.

I shrugged, "It's nothing. They must have thought that because you were new you'd make the perfect target."

His lips twisted as if he were confused, "What do you mean?"

"Everyone knows that if you are being picked on by the delinquents in this school to go to Kurosaki-kun for help," a turned to see a girl who'd been in the class watching a few feet away. She wore a smile on her face.