Chapter 4 A Promise

June 16, 2004

"Anything happen between you two?" Matsuno questioned as he looked between Baji and me once we were all together for lunch on the rooftop.

After what had happened during the morning has set me on edge. I couldn't look at Baji. I couldn't escape the feeling of just pretending like he didn't exist. He already found out too much about me. Things that I wanted no one to find out about my life. I wished I could go back in time and left earlier for school in the morning or something. Anything.

Baji hardly spoke. I wasn't sure what was going through his mind. I wondered what he thought about my twisted life. I hoped he wouldn't tell anyone else and kept it to himself.

"Nothing," we both answered at the same time.

We looked at each other for a moment before looking away.

"Right. And Baji can write," Matsuno joked.

"Oi!" Baji said with a frown, "You said you wouldn't tell them."

Matsuno laughed at his friend's reaction.

"What?" Yukimura questioned.

"A few months ago, Baji was writing a letter and totally failed at writing 'tiger'. Can you believe that?" Matsuno laughed again.

I looked at Baji, "Really?"

"It's no big deal and not that funny," he replied, staring at Matsuno as if to try to get him to shut up.

I found it interesting that Baji wasn't as academically successful as his appearance would let you believe. But I suppose you can never judge someone based on their looks alone. I found myself wanting to know more about him but I could never admit it to myself.

Yukimura clapped her hands together, gaining our attention, "I have a great idea! How about we start our own study group? We can have it at my house. I have a big enough room for the four of us. Exams will come fast enough so we can do it after school-"

"I can't," I cut her off.

I always went straight to the hospital to visit my mom. I wasn't going to change that to study for school where I wasn't at all even interested in. I was an average student but I wasn't going to go overboard to be the top student when I didn't care.

"What is so important that you wouldn't want to study with us?" Matsuno questioned me. "You never hangout with us outside of school."

"I'm antisocial. I thought that was clear."

"But you're changing," Yukimura said, "You're the one you brought Baji-kun in our group."

I couldn't argue with her because she was right. I was the one that brought Baji to this group. Matsuno might have followed me, trying to get me to accept him as a friend for two years until his girlfriend wore me down until I finally did. But the situation with Baji was different. I was the one that approached him.

Why did I bother? Now he knows things he shouldn't.

I clenched my teeth together.

"I can do Sundays but I would have to leave at 3."

"Deal!" Yukimura said with a bright smile, "We will meet on Sundays to study together."

Matsuno and Baji seemed to agree with this arrangement as they nodded their heads in confirmation.

Yay, I said in my mind with sarcasm.

"Hi, mom," I greeted as I leaned in to kiss her forehead as I always did when I visited her.