Chapter 5 Dark Pasts and Acceptance

** Reupload. Had technical issues with loading up the MikeyxOC chapter which uploaded on this story instead and when I deleted the chapter it also deleted this chapter as well for some reason. -.- 

July 4th, 2004

"Inhale," Rai ordered me as he placed the flat end of the stethoscope on my skin behind me.

I took a deep breath in as I ignored Baji who was sitting on the other side of the coffee table facing me. Rai had my shirt lifted up but not enough for Baji to figure out anything important.

"Good. Exhale." I let my breath go. "Turn." I did what I was told. Rai pulled my shirt down enough to listen. "Inhale." One breath in. "Exhale." One breath outh. He took the device off his ears and into his bag. "Nothing sounds abnormal."

He checked the insides of my ears, my eyes, and mouth. He then instructed me to relax my arm as he took my blood pressure. I really hated that he went through all this trouble every time he came to visit me.

Rai was a doctor through and through. He was forced to be the gang's doctor as a student when he was younger and that was how he met my mother. He was the one that delivered me and forged the medical certificate to show I was a male instead of female. While he remained as a student at the hospital he decided to try to move up in the gang in order to protect my mom and me. He got stronger. Made some connections of his own. He rose up in ranks. But no matter what, underneath it all, he was just a doctor.

"Are we done yet?" I questioned, growing impatient.

"Almost," he said, taking out a syringe and filling it with a fluid.

Right. Every three months, like clockwork.

He lifted the sleeve of my shirt, sterilized the area with his gloved hands, and emptied the syringe on my shoulder. A couple years ago, I had to miss school for a few days because I had started to menstruate. Of course, I told Rai. I didn't know what to do. If I had an accident at school or anywhere my gender would be revealed to everyone. And that would have meant that... Well, let's not get into that.

Rai decided to put me on the birth control shot. He did it for two reasons. One, it would stop my period and I wouldn't have to stress about being caught in that way. Two, if I ever did get caught and was forced like my mother, I wouldn't end up with a teen pregnancy. I did not plan on ever being found out though. I'd rather die.

"There," he said, wiping off some of the blood coming from the puncture wound before putting a small bandaid.

"Are you sick?" Baji questioned.

I was surprised he sat quietly the whole time. I looked at him and shook my head.

"Ayato is healthy but I like to examine him at least once every three months because of his condition."

I felt my eye twitch at the mention of my 'condition'.

"So, tell me, Baji Keisuke. What are your intentions with my kid?"

I turned a critical eye on Rai. I never told him Baji's name. Not to mention the way he was suddenly acting like my father and called me his kid. I suppose it made sense. My mom had warned me in advance that she would give guardianship over to Rai if she were to pass away. But right now, he wasn't.

"I didn't tell you his name," I commented. "You had him followed, didn't you? You looked into him."

"Can't be too careful, Ayato. You know that." Rai's eyes were on Baji. "For instance, he hasn't told you anything about the gang he is in, has he?"