Chapter 9 Trusting

November 6th, 2004

"Today, we are here to welcome a new member to Toman," Mikey's voice spoke to the crowd below him.

I was invited to my first Toman meetup at a shrine late at night when the sun had set. I was surprised how quickly they had a uniform ready for me to wear. It seemed like they were eager to officially welcome me into their gang.

I stood behind Mikey, away from the prying eyes. Baji stood on his right. The air around was intense. Mikey ready did have an air of authority. I could tell that everyone present respected him.

"Thanks to Baji for recruiting him, Toman will be stronger than ever," Mikey continued. He looked over his shoulder to indicate to me it was time for me to stand on his left side.

I slowly took steps to stand next time. My eyes glanced at the many faces below me. I saw some familiar ones. Mitsuya, Pah, Draken, and Matsuno that I met a few days ago. The ones who knew more than I would have liked. But so far, they had kept their mouths shut. I was grateful.

"Whoa. Isn't that the Shinigami?" I heard someone say.

Then the atmosphere changed. I saw the shocked faces and heard the many whispers.

"No way. They got the Shinigami to join us?"

"I thought he always refused."

"Shit. I heard he is strong as hell."

"Stronger than Mikey?"

"There's no way anyone is stronger than our commander. Don't be an idiot."

"Yato," I turned to look at the person who called me. Mikey smiled, "Would you like to say a few words?"

I wasn't sure what to say. It wasn't like I prepared a speech or anything for this moment.

I looked down at the members as they waited for me to finally speak.

"It is true," I started, "I always refused anyone that would try to get me to join their gang. I was never interested." I took a step forward, "But that all changed when I met your First Division Captain. He has earned my respect and my loyalty. By extension, Toman also has my loyalty. I will fight alongside my new friends. I will put my life on the line for them." I slightly bowed my head, "I give Toman my strength."

To my surprise, a roar erupted from all the members of Toman. They cheered and celebrated with their fists up to the sky.

"Toman will be even stronger now!"

"We will be unbeatable!"

"Toman! Toman! Toman!" They all cheered together.

The hype that was sparked echoed through the shrine. Some time passed by until they were all dismissed from the meeting.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked down at my smiling brother.

"Nice work."

I nodded as a response.

"You really got them all fired up," I turned to look at Baji and he smirked, his hands in his pockets.

"We better get ready," we turned our heads as Draken walked up the steps to us.

"For what?" I questioned.

Draken looked at me as if he were confused, "What do you mean? More people will want to join Toman now that we recruited the legendary Shinigami."

"I'm not legendary."

"Draken's right," Mitsuya approached us, "Toman is still pretty new and Mikey's name hasn't spread around that much yet. But you are known by all gangs in Tokyo."