29† Angel By Another Name

Eden woke up to the morning bells at the church. She sat up cautiously and clutched the cross to her chest but squinted at the bright sunlight. With a small smile, she looked around the garden. Eden lifted her eyes up towards the statue of Mother Mary and held the cross up to the statue matching the rosary to the statue's. "Hmf. St. Maria's Garden always has a wonderful welcoming feeling."

The bells continued to ring and she stood up on the bench looking around the maze-like garden area. She stopped and realized the bells were not the daily bells, but once again a panic bell. Eden snickered and started to wander around the garden ready to leap away in case anyone hostile came towards her. She thought of how they possibly changed their mind about letting her go. How she didn't know if she wanted it to be true or not ate at her mind.

Nearly an hour had passed, or what she had thought to be an hour as Eden wandered around the largest garden on the Vatican's land reliving certain memories as she passed through. Her body didn't seem to want to leave the area. In the past, this garden used to be a square where they would have sellers, beggars, and men on their soap boxes yelling about the news. Eden remembered the area where she tripped over some rocks but a boy she would play with, since he was able to be around her, helped check out her knees. Seeing not much blood besides a scrape, he would pat her knee and say she would be fine. It comforted her to know that there was someone always watching her. Be it his father, or the boy, she liked knowing she wasn't alone. "Where are you now Esdras...?" Eden let a smirk cross her lips, but also dropped it after thinking of his father.

The thought that made the pit of her stomach churn just ever so slightly more.

Soon she saw the old sales booths around her, a few textile sellers and even a few of the food vendors. Eden remembered herself giggling as she ran around the courtyard's cobblestone pathways. Even when she would get caught in the way of important visitors that didn't care to move out of the way for any child. Nor did they care to find out who anyone else was if they weren't wearing any jewels or a crown. Like the flashback that it was, Eden moved to the edge of a lattice with vines growing on top, she realized the area would've been what was the stable. The accident that changed her life happened right here. In this spot. She became a different person than she is now. She was kind and compassionate, now she is very much not those things.

Eden kept wandering, keeping herself hidden, but still enjoying the view and smells, her thoughts wandered more of the past. Occasionally she heard a sound that pulled her back to reality. There was no sign of anyone that she could see, but Eden was determined to find the source. She found a canopied area but closed in on it carefully as she listened to the whimpers of another in the garden. The sound grew louder, signaling that she was in the right area at least.

Stepping around the corner, Eden eyed the young boy clutching his knees to his chest. Eden stepped closer only for the boy to give out a louder wail at her. Eden held up her hands carefully, "Hey, I'm not here to hurt you."

The tear streaked face of the young Alessandro nearly lit up as she stepped closer, "I... I'm sorry. I d-didn't mean t-to... Uhm, I m-mean."

Eden knelt down in front of Alec and shook her head, "Don't worry about explaining anything to me. Your face should never be terrorized by these tears."

Alessandro sat up a bit straighter, confidence starting to stiffen in his spine. "Oh, you think so?"

"I don't think so, Your Holiness. I know so." Eden shuffled her way next to him and pulled Alec into her arms then watched him almost melt into her caress. She carefully stroked his hair with one hand as her other wiped away his tears. "You deserve better. You don't deserve to cry."