6† The Guardian Angel

Vaclav held his hand to his ear, not taking his eyes off of the vampire woman as he listened. He nodded and looked around, "Yeah. We moved from the Inquisition. They are patrolling the halls now. Say Kate, any good ways to get outside maybe?... No, we are in-" He looked at a few books curiously, "We're in the library... Yes, by Lady Sforza's office. Any clue of how to get out?"

Mary watched the woman go to some books herself and smirk going to a wooden desk. She pulled at it with ease, moving it off of a cellar-like door. Mary tapped Vaclav and pointed to the woman as she had found a secret way out of the main part of the library.

"Hold on Sister Kate, we seemed to have found a way down into the lower sections. I'll be in touch." Vaclav rushed over to the floor where the stone had a small hand hole that could be used to lift and move it. The woman stood back a ways and the stone lifted itself from the hole and slid to the side. Vaclav and Mary watched in awe as she stepped to the side.

The woman turned around watching the two of them, "Please don't look at me like that. I just don't feel like killing those idiots outside the room today. Now are you guys going down or what?"

Mary nodded and started down the stairs, fitting perfectly. Vaclav stared wearily before nodding to the woman and heading down the steps as well. He crouched enough to fit through. He eyed the woman following them, but not paying attention at all to them. She, instead, closed her eyes and listened for the stone set back atop their heads. Above, the desk scraped again over the floor and the woman turned to face the other two.

Vaclav held a hand on Mary's shoulder while using his other hand along the wall for a sense of direction. He looked around disoriented in the pitch black room. The woman brushed past the both of them as she moved to the front of the narrow corridor completely unaffected by the darkness as it seemed she only blended into it, "Follow me. This is part of the old church before they added on the new sections..."

Mary eyed the woman curiously and kept walking, this time since she could barely see, she reached out and clung to the upper arm of the woman, "Bless you. This will be the second time you've saved me... Unless... No that's silly. Nevermind."

Walking the halls was a bit testy without any good light source. Once they made it to a larger and more open hallway, the woman stopped moving and placed her hand to the wall. Instantly, the lamps on the wall started to glow with a light humming noise to them. Vaclav tensed up once seeing a possible threat then relaxed as the hallway split off to similar to the halls he was used to from the floors above. After the woman they followed to a pair of large doors, covered in delicate carvings and blessings written along the doorframe. The three of them made their way to a larger room that was thought to be burned down from the vampires during the war. Vaclav touched the silky walls as in fact, nothing seemed to tarnish it. "Th- This is...!"

The woman smirked slightly as she leaned against a marble pillar in the room, "The Vatican Necropolis lies under your beloved Vatican City, and this lies right below Saint Peter's Basilica. The Vatican sponsored archeological excavations under Saint Peter's for almost ten years in 1940. After finding collapsed passageways then cleaning them out this revealed parts of a necropolis dating back to Imperial times. This is one of the most preserved rooms under the Vatican for all of these years... It's surprising no one knew about it... And still to this day..." Mary stared shocked, holding her hands to her chest while running her fingers over her rosary's beads.

Vaclav was busy counting the books, the information that had been lost for so many years, "William would probably have a heart attack if he saw this right now. I'm sure of it." Vaclav eyed the woman, once enemy, now a guide. "Why?"

"Why what?" She cocked her head to the side and cracked a curious smile. She held her hands crossed in front of her body, but removed herself from the pillar. In a flash she appeared next to him looking at the books as well. She eyed them curiously, almost as if she needed answers that would never be. "Just because I'm different from you humans doesn't mean I have to act different right? History is something I love. After missing so many years... It's just not the same anymore..."