21† Lost Souls

"Mary? Why her? She doesn't care if I live or die. Just let Abel kill me and get it over with!" Eden glared at Abel, angry at him but also, she lost herself in his face. If she had to rely without her sight, Abel's face was just as perfect... "Agh! Don't look at me like that with your face! Just... Gah! I can't hate you when you look at me like that..."

By taking a step back, Eden eyed Abel, his nerves caused his hands to start to shake, "Eden, no. I could never kill you. Despite our differences, and our some similarities, I will not do that. I just can't take your life or let anyone else do so."

"Then let me. She deserves the interrogation from the Inquisition before her death."

The chains rattled, pain shot through her mind and down her nerves, "Go ahead and try, meat brain! It'll be a thousand years and you'll still never be able to kill me. There's nothing that you could ever do that will break me! I've withstood tortures before in this building, I sure as well will do it again. You will never break me with your mediocre torture ways!" Eden soon became unable to handle, she began kicking wildly at her captors. Memories took control of her mind, her eyes lifted to the crucified Jesus hanging off of the wall which angered her ego even more. "What will you do? Hang me in front of everyone once more to mock me? I'll gladly watch your face when I'm free! I'll make sure to make your death such a mockery that the heaven's above will never open for such pitiful filth as such as you!"

"Eden..." Abel stepped a bit closer. As close as the guards would allow him to.

"Don't you Eden me! I've done it when I was just a child. What makes you believe I won't do it now? Because the times are different?"

Abel stammered, he was lost in his thoughts, "That's not what I mean..."

"Well they are not different at all. There's still people who exploit people for their own profit. There are still innocent women and children suffering in this land despite believing in the same things as you do now. This land is still greedy for the blood and suffering of anyone who speaks out against a man's word! You cannot look at me and tell me that it is not true! You don't understand the pain of seeing someone you love have their life ruined in front of friends and family and everyone under the moon! All in the name of the Lord!" Her arms fought back against the men until a smaller sized hand took grasp of hers with a light squeeze holding onto hers.

The pain radiating through her veins and voice calmed instantly, "I want to know, why do you know faith, but want to deny yourself the faith of our Lord and Savior? He just wants to help his children. We are all lambs of his flock. Even though some might get lost, our Shepherd always guides them back to the rest of the herd." Alessandro took his time speaking to her, making her know that there was no rush with any answers right now, but he cared enough to want her to answer regardless.

It was Eden who stammered this time, her voice cracking as she lifted her eyes up to Abel, hoping his familiar face would calm her nerves. She mouthed the words but instead kept herself quiet. With a shake of her head, Eden, bowed her head forward, "I've abandoned God after he abandoned me. The men holding onto her loosened her grip enough that she started to unravel some of the chains without them noticing. She reached out her bloody hands to the boy's cheeks. The members behind her saw her reach out to their Pope and started to pull back on her body.

Petros put up his hand to stop his members, "Let the Vampire speak. It'll be the last time for her to ever talk to anyone again." His eyes watched the Pope carefully as a genuine smile made its way across his lips seeing Petros listen to him.

Eden looked over to Petros and then to Abel, both men on edge as she had proved her deadliness to them. But with it, she has actually proved that she wasn't going to kill the Pope either. Eden's fingers followed the details of Alessandro's clothing, her soft touch barely noticed by him. There was pain in her eyes, a look that competed with some of the worst places in the Vatican to how she felt. Her fingers caressed the small locks of his darkening hair that once peeked from under his hat, the indented line that proved how often he went without wearing it. She continued to let her fingers make their way through the rest of his hair as she moved his bangs from his eyes, "You make me want to know... what my child would have looked like... The father has blond hair, I have dark black... He has blue eyes... I have hazel. I assume the child would've had one or the other..."