3† Afraid of the Darkness

Father Orfeo stood up in front of his clergy and smiled, "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce our newest member who will be working at the church putting in her hours as a nun in our local church before being able to work at the Great Vatican City as a nun there. I have known some of her family from years before, some of you might remember her family as well. I would hope to see you all welcome her into your hearts as I have welcomed her in mine." He clasped his hands over his heart and smiled out to the crowd before going over to the bench and holding out his hand to Mary.

She reached out and stood up daintily before heading to the stand. The Priest went to his side chair to take a seat, leaving Mary have the whole pulpit to herself. She gazed out to the other faces, all new to her. She took a deep breath before speaking, "Hello, my name is Mary Angelina. I'm glad to meet you all. I hope to be a great asset to the church."

Everyone clapped at her, all smiling warmly at her happy she came to join. Father Orefo stood up and went to the podium next to Mary and laid his hand on her shoulder, "Well, I believe that will end our day. I will have Sister Mary lead us in prayer then the confessional booth will be open the rest of the day. The Sisters have prepared a lunch below in the basement in our fellowship hall. I will see each and every one of you down there." Mary held her hands together and started to pray. She spoke effortlessly as if she was an angel from Heaven itself. Mary looked out to the people and smiled once she was done. The Priest nodded to Mary as she went back to sit with the other sisters. The pastor guided the people out of the nave of the church. After everyone left the pews the sisters followed to the basement, but Mary waited with the Priest as he motioned for her to stay. "I hope I can make you proud father..."

The Father laid his hands on Mary's shoulders and spoke warmly, "Don't worry, you're going to be a big shot one day. Everything will work out in the end. Say, would you like to tidy up as I do the confessionals after we eat?" He patted her shoulders and gave them a light squeeze. With a grin he kept on talking, "Of course you would! Thank you in advance and I'll see you at the end of the day." He started to walk the direction the Nuns went before turning around, "Oh, one more thing. I will be having some guests over around supper. Would you mind telling the other nuns to cook something for five extra? If you want you could join us as well. It's a meeting with some other church officials. Sister Selene already agreed to join. You can always join later if you don't know what you'd like to do yet. Thank you Sister." Father Orfeo smiled and had a look on his face that only some people would notice as a predator's watchful eye.

Mary smiled as if she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, "Yes Father, you can count on me!"

Mary quickly immersed herself in her tasks for the day. Before she knew it, she was off to the kitchen to cook with some of the other nuns. While some of the women were chatting, she decided to ask a question herself, "I wonder what kind of guests we might be having tonight?" Some of the other nuns who were twittering about the guests stopped and got quiet. The gossip in the church traveled into the kitchen as a nun came into the room, "They are here."

Mary looked up from the stove and eyed the Nun, "They're here already?"

In the meantime, the father went on with his business in his office making sure things were ready for the afternoon. In no time, the men started to arrive. Four men carried some books with them as if it was their lives' work. Father Orfeo greeted them just before they had a chance to knock on his door. He rushed them into his office to have them find a seat and get comfortable, "Ah! Yes, come in gentlemen! I have some great things to tell you before our supper arrives."

The men were laughing in the room, hooting a bit loudly, but they knew that the other nuns wouldn't be near the room at all. The nun's knew exactly what was going on in the room and wouldn't take part in it. Some of the nuns, especially Rebekah, tried to stop Mary from bringing the food into the room after she had finished cooking it. "Here, I can take that back Mary. You don't need to worry about impressing the Father. You're new and I would rather you get comfortable here first." Rebekah smiled starting to get things ready to take to Father Orfeo's office. Before she could continue, an angry face scowled at her in the doorway.