6

The Sun had fully disappeared and darkness filled the air. The only sound that was heard were the slight crackles of radio. A man dressed in tactical armour with a assault rifle in hand searched with his eyes any sign of danger. 

Standing on a rooftop[ he continued to make his rounds and checking into his radio to ensure that everything was clear. A dark figure loomed behind him and then wrapped his arms around the man's neck.  Without wasting a second, the figure snapped the man's neck. A low crack was heard, not loud enough for anyone but that figure to hear. The figure stepped into the light to reveal a man with gorgeous blue eyes and dirty blond hair. Daniel Smith. He adjusted the silencer on his pistol, spotting two guards conversing with each other. Without hesitation in his eyes, he shot them both in their foreheads. These were the people who imprisoned him after all, why should he show them mercy. 

He took cover behind a wall. scoping out the area, he faintly saw a few arrows whiz by. 

After a few minutes, the entire roof was cleared out. Clint was in the vents, scoping out the area. Natasha, Teresa and Melinda had gone to secure the surveillance room, while Daniel would go to the vault. Daniel swiftly moved through the familiar hallways. The memories of his time here came back to him. The torture he had to go through just so his cells could mutate. The intense training. Every memory that would keep him awake at night. 

Suddenly the lights in the compound flashed red. The alarms blaring, and the deafening sound seeping through his ear canal and stimulating his eardrums. His pupils dilated, his pulse quickened. This mission became a lot harder. 

A voice came through the comms, "Um...so I might have done something.". Daniel immediately recognized the voice as Clint's . 

"Oh Bloody Hell.", Daniel said, his voice full of annoyance and fright. Footsteps could be heard echoing through the hallway. He reached the edge of the hallway, the corner turning left into another path. Using this corner as a cover, he waited for the right moment as he detected multiple hostiles coming from that path. The barrel of a gun poked through. He took this chance and pounced. Gripping their forearm, he angled the gun upwards and shot the hostile twice in the gut. Then used them as a shield to block the oncoming barrage of bullets. When all the hostiles were out of bullets, he took this moment at went to shoot all of them. But, he also ran out, with three hostiles still in play. So, as a distraction, he pushed the human shield towards them, ran and pushed off of a wall to get more airtime, and punched one guard in the face, effectively knocking them out. One guard went to punch, but he blocked it, kneed them in the face, and then threw them on the ground. The last guard pulled out a knife and went to attack, but he grabbed their arm, twisted it and stabbed them. Twice. 

After a few minutes of running through the hallways of the compound, and killing any guards that crossed his path, he finally reached the vault. Using a device that S.H.I.E.L.D provided him with, he easily picked the locks and entered the vault. 

The first thing he noticed was a figure standing in the middle with their back towards him. Though he quickly recognized who this figure was. "Oliver.", he spat venomously. 

Oliver turned around to face him, his face was devoid of any emotion. Without wasting a second, they both launched into battle. Flesh hitting flesh was the only sound that resonated throughout the vault. The only thought that plagued Daniel's mind was how he was now fighting one of the two people he trusted with his life. How years of friendship, brotherhood even, was going down the drain. Memories flashed through his mind, memories he had cherished over the years. How they would train and spar with each other. How they would spend time together, comforting each other, after going through copious amount of physical and mental torture. It pained him to fight Oliver. Then, a different emotion flashed through him. Anger. This man betrayed him. his best friend betrayed him without even a second of hesitation. A part of him hoped for an explanation. He hoped there was some sort of logical explanation for this betrayal. But there wasn't. At some point two guards had entered the vault, armed. but he swiftly disarmed them. After a few more minutes of fighting, no one getting the upper hand, they both separated and went to grab the guns that were laying on the ground. Unfortunately, they both grabbed the gun at the exact same moment and aimed at each other. No one willing to back down. 

After a few more moments, at least fifteen guards entered the facility. All of them had their guns trained on Daniel. But he kept glaring at Oliver. Suddenly, Oliver started shooting the guards that entered the vault. There was a moment of shock on Daniel's face but it quickly dissipated as he started killing the guards as well. Before any of them had a chance to react, the were lying in a pool of their own blood. 

But Daniel wasn't paying attention to that as his eyes met Daniel's. He had a lot of questions, but he asked the one that had kept him awake the past few nights. 

"Why?", he asked, his voice barely a whisper. 

"You remember the project that S.A.T.O.R. was working on along with the Red Room?"

"You were mind controlled?", Daniel asked, bewildered. 

Oliver nodded and continued." It was temporary, the effects must have worn off when I was fighting you. Look, we can catch up later but right now we have to get to Jansen. He must be escaping right about now." Daniel nodded and they were going to leave but were stopped when the S.H.I.E.L.D agents and Teresa entered the vault, all of them had their guns trained on Oliver. Daniel signaled for them to lower their guns. They all reluctantly did as told except Teresa. 

"He was mind controlled.", Daniel merely said and that was enough to get Teresa to understand. 

"Okay, you guys need to get that door open, the Tesseract is on the other side.", he said to the S.H.I.E.L.D agents. "Me, Oliver and Teresa will go and get Jansen." 

"Maybe we should all go with you.", Natasha spoke.

"No. This one's on us.", Daniel replied, and they all proceeded to do the job they were assigned. In just a few minutes, the trio reached Jansen's office. He was already packing and ready leave, but when he noticed them, he raised his arms in the air. "I surrender. You guys ca-", before he could continue, he was cut off by Oliver emptying his entire magazine clip into Jansen's torso. When the two looked at him. He merely shrugged his shoulders. 

The trio then walked back to the vault. It was already crowded by S.H.I.E.L.D. officers, including Nick Fury and Maria Hill. The two walked over to the assassins. Fury extended his hand for Daniel to shake, which he did. "Mr. Smith, it was a pleasure doing business with you. Now, as promised, yours and your sister's record will be wiped clean, including yours young man.", he said. The last part directed towards Oliver. "Now, I know you guys want to go live your lives, but I can offer you a job as agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." 

"No.", Oliver and Daniel replied a the same time. 

"I think I will.", Teresa said, making Daniel look at her in disbelief. "Besides, the company's not so bad." , she continued, looking at Maria. 

"Absolutely not!" Daniel exclaimed, making Teresa roll her eyes. 

"C'mon, I'm not a child anymore Daniel." 

"I'm not letting you put yourself in danger." 

"Daniel, I know you don't want me getting hurt. But this is the only way I can think of to make up for the pain and suffering I have caused.". She gave Daniel her best doe eyes, knowing it would always male him melt.

He huffed before saying, "Fine. But if you die, I will dig you out of your grave, resurrect you and kill you myself.", Teresa merely smiled and hugged him. She shook Fury's hand walked away. Daniel also turned to walk away but stopped when Oliver called out to him. 

"You know, you may not be my blood but you were always like a brother to me. And though our may be different right now, just know that if you ever need my help, I'll be there.", he genuinely said. Daniel pulled him into a tight embrace which he happily reciprocated. They both then separated and walked away, and Daniel had the biggest smile on his face. He was leaving his old life behind for a new one. A peaceful one. Or so he thought. 

A/N: And that marks the end of Part I of this story. The next part is Iron Man II

Please don't forget to vote or comment.