2

A Rolls Royce rolled through the beautiful streets of Monaco. Sunlight seeped through the windows illuminating the posh interior. Presently Daniel, Tony, Pepper and Happy were seated in the car. Happy driving, Daniel in the passenger seat and Tony and Pepper in the rear. Daniel was wearing a semi-formal, navy blue buttoned jacket, light gray T-shirt, navy blue  jeans and black Chelsea boots. His hair was brushed back in their usual messy form. They were going towards the Grand-Prix. Apparently Stark Industries also had a car in the running. But the only thought that raced through Daniel's mind was Teresa's well being. 

He knew she was a grown woman but he still saw her as his little sister. The one who would ask him to read her a bedtime story every single night. The one who would get scared by a thunderstorm and would only sleep if he was by her side. The one who was innocent. Before S.A.T.O.R., before Jansen, before everything. And how could he not worry about her. Their mother basically begged him to do it. And yet he failed. 

He was pulled away from these thoughts however, as they arrived at their destination. He quickly exited the vehicle, and avoided being spotted by the cameras. The crowd surrounding the hotel, which was their destination, erupted into a cacophony of cheers as they saw Tony Stark exit the vehicle. He held up a peace symbol towards them and then walked. 

As soon as Daniel entered the building, he scanned the area for potential exit routes, as he drowned out Tony and Pepper's conversation. His eyes soon landed on the redhead that had been plaguing his dreams. Now that they were not in a death defying situation, he had finally taken the time to admire her face. Her perfect eyes that held so much pain and trauma, but still managed to keep a confident smile, and he admired her for that. He was familiar with the training given in the red room of course, he himself had endured that, but this woman was something else entirely. He was almost attracted to her. But that couldn't be it. Love was for children. That phrase was ingrained in his mind. He had grown up knowing that reality. And why would a woman or man go for someone like him, someone so....broken. But then there was her. The way the corner o her eyelids would crease and form wrinkles. The way her voice would cause the hair on the back of his neck stand up and cause shivers through his whole body. Then there were her lips. He couldn't help but imagine how they would feel like on his. But he pushed those thoughts away to the deepest darkest depths of hell. 

"You look really beautiful.", Tony said to her. 

"Thank you.", She replied. 

"But that's unprofessional. What's on the docket?"

"You have a nine thirty dinner."

"Great we'll be there at Eleven. Is this us?"

"It can be."

"Make it us.". Natasha then walked away. Tony and Daniel approached a bar along with Pepper. They both engaged in conversation but Daniel's eyes were glued to Natasha. But he quickly looked away before it got creepy. The most annoying voice on the planet was what he heard when he returned to Tony and Pepper's conversation. 

"My least favorite person on Earth.", Tony mumbled before saying, "Justin Hammer ." 

"Hi Tony. Uh......This is Christine Everhart, from Vanity Fair.", he said pointing to a blond woman. Tony and Pepper seemingly recognized her. 

Hammer then continued, "You two know each other?"

"Yes, roughly.", Tony replied nonchalantly, but there was an underlying meaning behind his words. Daniel instantly realized that these two had a one-night stand. 

"She's actually doing a spread on me. Thought I'd throw her a bone."

"Yes, she did quite a spread on Tony last year.", Pepper said. 

"And she wrote an article.", Tony added. The look on Hammer's face made Daniel bite his lower lip in an attempt to hold in his laughter.  

As Hammer dragged Tony away to talk about 'presenting something at the expo', Daniel turned back towards the bar and ordered a scotch.  A few minutes later a woman was standing beside him. He didn't even have to look to know who it was. He smiled slightly. 

" You know, I honestly thought you didn't have any friends. Yet here you are, best pals with the most difficult person on the planet.", Natasha said to him with a smirk as she ordered a vodka.

"I do have friends.", he said, playfully offended. Natasha chuckled at this. Daniel then asked the questions that ha been bugging him for weeks. 

"How's Teresa doing?". Natasha smiled slightly before answering, "She's good. Rose through our ranks faster than anybody. She's already Level 5."

"I asked how she was doing Natasha."

"She seems happy. Content even."

"Well If she's happy.....", he trailed off as he took another sip. He then spotted Tony heading into the bathroom looking distraught. 

"I should probably go check up on him.", saying this he headed of towards the bathroom. 

He opened the door and began speaking, "Hey Tony you......", he trailed off as he noticed the look on Tony's face before continuing, "What level is ist."

"57%.", Tony quickly replied. 

"Look, we both are working our asses off to find a cure for this. And you have my word that you will not die by this illness."

"I know, and I trust you, but even you can't deny this may as well be my last few weeks alive. I have to live it up."

"Why haven't you told Pepper yet?"

"I don't want her to worry."

"Anthony, we're your friends mate. We already worry about you. And Pepper is one of the few people you can trust. You have to tell her."

"I will make her an omelette and tell her that. But right now I have a race-car to drive.", saying this Tony rushed out. Daniel sighed, closed his eyes and shook his head, before going out after him. Tony was a very difficult person to be friends with. But he was his friend. And he will stick by him. Always.