Chapter 11

Elle's POV

As our parents all start talking with Brad about his upcoming baseball game, I lean into Lee hitting his shoulder with mine as I ask, "So, you said the big date with Rachel was awesome. You two have been together for what, a month now? You seem really into her, how are things going?"

Lee didn't even have to answer for me to know, I could tell by the grin that took over his face as he responded, "So good. I like her so much, Elle! Like so, so much."

I pretty much had an idea of how Lee felt about Rachel already. Lee had dated girls before Rachel, he didn't have his own personal unwanted bodyguard keeping everyone away from him, like I had with Noah. Some of Lee's girlfriends didn't last long, especially once they realized how much time Lee spent with me. Some girls would make it a little longer and we would all spend time hanging out together. Sometimes with those girls, I would even have to learn to share and not spend as much time with Lee, so they could have more alone time together. But, Lee had never been with another girl who he had ditched me for as often as he had with Rachel. I was happy for him in so many ways because I knew she made him happy, but another part of me was sad and a little jealous that I was missing time with my best friend.

Lee's grin was contagious and I felt myself smiling back at him as I said, "I'm really happy for you."

Lee's grin fell away and he turned serious and a little bit worried, "Elle, I'm really sorry that we haven't been spending much time together these days. I miss hanging out with you, but I really like spending time with Rachel and I don't want to mess this up."

"Aw, Lee, I understand.  I totally miss spending time with you too, but I'm happy you found someone who will put up with all your crap," I teased him. Lee grinned, pulling me into a side armed hug, as I asked, "Hey, can I get a ride with you guys after lunch?"

"I'm heading to Rachel's as soon as we get home."

"That's fine, I figured you would be, I was just going to take care of the pool."

Of course at that point, there was a break in the conversation with Brad because June overhears us and asks, "Noah, are you still really going to make Elle take care of the pool for you?" I can see Noah give his Mom a sheepish smile. Without waiting for his response, she turns back towards me and says, "I'm sure Noah can drive you to school without you doing one of his chores for him."

"No, it's fine. This is what we agreed to."

"Well, if you're sure, Matthew and I were going to run some errands after we dropped the boys at home. I'm sure Noah can let you in while we're gone."

Alone time with Noah. I was now looking forward to spending some time with my boyfriend, but also worried about the end of lunch, knowing I needed to talk to Noah about what he said to me last night.

Lee adds, whispering so only I can hear, "If Noah is going to be a dick about the rides and the pool, I can just start taking you again. I swear, it's no problem."

Lee sounds so sincere, I feel bad that he's worried about me. "It's no big deal, really. It's like having my own personal Uber taking me everywhere. Noah doesn't say much on the drive and I really don't mind cleaning the pool. I use it enough anyway. I probably should have chores around your house, as much time as I spend there."

After lunch, I ride with the Flynns back to their house. Sitting in the backseat of June's SUV, in between Noah and Lee, I felt like I was back in elementary school riding to and from school with them. Lee is talking non-stop, obviously in a good mood and excited to be spending the afternoon with Rachel. When we get to the Flynn's, Lee practically jumps out of the car, telling me he'll call me tonight and yelling a "Later!" to his family. Laughing at Lee, Noah and I get out of the SUV and watch June and Matthew drive away on their errands, with Lee following close behind.