Alternate Chapter 26 - Part 1

As soon as we got out the doors of the school and were alone, I pulled Elle in for a long kiss before asking, "How are you feeling today?"

"Seriously?  I've been better."  I caught Elle's eye roll as she shot back, annoyed with my question.

We started walking hand in hand towards the bleachers at the football field.  I knew a spot where we wouldn't be able to be seen from anyone inside the school.  "Well obviously.  I just meant, are you feeling sick or anything?  Have you had any morning sickness?"

Elle took a deep breath and gave me a small smile before apologizing, "I'm sorry I snapped, it's been a rough couple days."  She looked at me guiltily as she went on.  "As you know since you're going through this with me.  God Noah, I shouldn't take out my frustration on you.  You've been great since I told you."

"Don't worry about it, Shell."  I wasn't going to let something like that get to me, I understood what she was going through.

"In answer to your question, I've been feeling fine so far.  No morning sickness or anything.  And as far as everything else goes, I actually feel a little better today now that everyone knows."

"Even though everyone's pissed at us?"

"Even though it really sucked, what I had in my head was somehow even worse so I'm glad it's over."

When Elle and I reached the secluded spot in the bleachers, I sat down sideways with my legs on either side so Elle could sit in between my legs as I put my arms around her.  Before we came outside, I bought a bunch of Elle's favorites from the vending machine. I knew from experience that Elle tended to get a little grumpy when she was hungry and I wasn't about to let that happen.  Plus I really didn't think she should skip meals now that she was pregnant.  I offered her the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I had gotten for her but she just shook her head.  When she turned it down, I opened it and started eating, figuring it wouldn't be long before she would start mooching off me.  In between bites, I asked, "How has Lee been today?"

"Weird.  It's like he's trying to keep his distance because he's mad at me, but he's also been strangely protective.  Have you two talked at all?"

"Not a word."  I smirked as Elle stole the sandwich just as I was getting ready to take another bite.  She shot me a look, as if daring me to tell her I told you so, which I totally knew better than to say.  Instead, I opened the bag of chips and the bottle of water and set them both in front of Elle as I went on, "So do you want to talk about how things went with your Dad? I mean I know you told me it was bad on the phone last night but we can talk about it if you want. Or Lee?" Elle nodded and she filled me in as she ate.

Elle

Sitting with Noah on the bleachers of the empty football field during our lunch hour, I wanted to sugar coat what I told him. I know he wants to protect me from all of this but there isn't really much he can do. Noah has always been protective of me, but it has been next level today. Other than when we had to go our separate ways for class, he has had ahold of me the whole time we've been together. And even when he walked me to my first class, for a minute I thought he was going to follow me into mine. It sucks that we're going through this, but at least we're going through this together. That's all I can ask of him, to be there for me.

I scooted closer to Noah, staring out onto the football field and trying to keep my tears from falling again as I started to tell him about the talk with my Dad last night.  I know Noah wanted to talk to my Dad with me but I wouldn't let him. My Dad and I were so close, I naively thought I could explain everything to him and he would understand and be supportive, like June. Though, I could tell right from the beginning that wasn't going to happen.