Chapter 20

Noah

About halfway through our drive to the resort, we make a stop at this farmer's market my Mom absolutely loves.  She always makes us stop when we come by here, no matter where we're headed.  My Dad was complaining because he wanted to get to the resort, but he knew there was no point in trying to talk my Mom out of stopping.   Lee and I were fine with it because there was always this stand with the most amazing cookies.   When I sent Elle a text to let her know we were stopping, she asked me to save her a couple of the cookies.   Elle had been on enough road trips with our family to know about them.

Once we were finally able to drag my mom away from the market and we were back in the car on our way, I heard Lee remark, "That's crazy. Elle just asked me how my cookie was. It's like we really do have ESP with each other." I laughed to myself. We really are lucky that my brother is such an idiot or we probably never would have been able to keep this charade up.

Noah to Elle – Did you really just ask Lee about the farmer's market that I told you we were going to?

Elle to Noah – I'm an idiot.  That's it, no more texting this week.

Noah to Elle – I wouldn't go that far, just maybe think before you hit send. Anyway, he's clueless, he thinks it's just because you two are connected so well.

Elle to Noah – Well, of course, because we are.

I listened to what Elle had asked of me before we left on this trip and really tried to give Lee a chance. Not because I necessarily thought she was right but because I've learned that it's better to do what Elle says than to get yelled at by her later. I didn't tune Lee out every time he talked, and I didn't make fun of everything he said. Surprisingly enough Elle was right. Lee and I got along pretty well on vacation. My dad was even happy when we golfed with him and weren't fighting the whole time like usual. It's not like we became BFFs or anything, but I also wasn't dreading every minute we were spending together.

We had a lot of time just to two of us, since we had our own room at the resort. I asked him about Rachel, and some of what he told me reminded me of me and Elle. I had to bite my tongue a couple times from sharing a story about me and Elle or offering him advice on something we've dealt with. Most nights he left our room to call Rachel and I was able to fit in a call to Elle, which helped me make it through the week.

Even though we were getting along so well, I was surprised when Lee asked me about our annual trip to the amusement park. Lee, Elle, and I have gone to the Six Flags amusement park together during our Spring break for years. Lee and I were sitting in our hotel room one evening towards the end of our family vacation when Lee brought up this year's trip.  Our parents were having a romantic dinner, so Lee and I had decided to order room service.  Rachel wasn't around to talk to Lee.  I'm sure he told me what she was off doing, but I didn't pay any attention.  Anyway, he was stuck talking to me while we ate.  The food was amazing, I would have been fine with eating in silence and enjoying my steak, but I don't think Lee's able to be quiet for that long.  In between bites of his food, he asked, "Have you thought about whether or not you're going to go to Six Flags with us this year?"

"I don't know, you guys going this weekend?" Of course, I've thought about it. Thought about a full day of hanging out with Elle . . . and Lee.

"Yes we're going this weekend, it's when we always go. I was hoping you weren't going to skip out this year or bring someone else with you." I raised my eyebrows and looked at him questioningly. "I want to invite Rachel, but I don't want to make Elle feel like a third wheel. You know how all the rides work, you need to have an even number of people or someone is always left out." Believe me, Lee, I know what it feels like to be a third wheel with you and Elle. "I thought maybe it would be fun if it was the four of us."