Alternate Chapter 28

Noah

After prom, I knew it was time to talk to Elle about my plan, well really our plan, for next year.  We had both kind of been focusing on getting ready for prom and just dealing with the news of Elle's pregnancy, on top of telling everyone about our secret relationship.  But now that prom was over and we didn't feel quite as shell shocked about everything, I knew it was time to start making plans for next year.  We obviously had decisions to make together but I had also been talking to my Dad about what I needed to do for my Freshman year at college.  I knew what I wanted, but I needed a little help figuring out what my options were.

Dad wanted me to end up at Harvard.  I'm pretty sure he started planning for me to go to Harvard about the time I started walking, or maybe it was even earlier than that. Once I finally got through to him that going to Harvard next year is no longer an option.  That being away from Elle is not an option I'm willing to consider, especially for this first year, he finally worked with me to figure out my options.  Once we had what I thought was a pretty good plan, I wanted to talk it through with Elle and make sure she was onboard. 

We were both quiet on the short drive between her house and mine, both a little apprehensive for this discussion. Once we walked into my room, I sat on the bed, patting the spot next to me so Elle would sit down too.  She sat down for a split second before she jumped up and started walking all around my room as she said, "Before we start, I just want to know that I completely understand whatever you need to do.  You have your future to think about - "

"Elle."  I tried to interrupt.

But she went on, "and Harvard. . ."

This time I jumped up to stand in front of her to stop her pacing as I interrupted again, "Shell, stop.  Can you listen to me first before you start freaking out?"  I took both of her hands in mine as I quickly continued, "I want to defer enrollment to Harvard so we can stay in LA together next year."  Elle was still standing in front of me where I had stopped her but she didn't look at me until I said we would be together next year. 

"You're not going to Harvard?"  She asked, sounding shocked.

"Of course I'm not. You need to stay close to home next year to be close to our families and to finish high school and I have to be where you are."

"I thought you might decide you couldn't pass it up and we'd have to try doing it all long distance."

"I wasn't going to leave you to do this by yourself."

"But what about your future?"

Now that Elle seemed to be calming down, I sat back on the bed, this time pulling Elle onto my lap. I wrapped my arms around her as I responded, "My future will just be on hold a year until you graduate.  I'm only going to defer for a year for now.  That will give us time to decide what we want to do after you graduate.  If we want to go to Boston together or if we want to stay in California or if there's somewhere else you want to go to school.  I'll take some classes through the community college or another California school, my Dad and I haven't worked out all the details.  I'll stay in shape so I'll be ready to play football next year, if that's what we both decide.  And, I'll be here to help take care of the baby so you can keep up with school and graduate."

I finally felt Elle's body relax in my arms as she rested her head on my shoulder. "Wow, that's a lot.  I want to argue that you shouldn't put off college but I can't.  I can't imagine having our baby without you here."

"I can't either, I don't want to be away from you or our baby."

"And your parents are okay with this?"

"They are now and it doesn't matter what they think anyway.  This is our future."

-----------------------