Alternate Chapter 29

Noah

Waking up together our first morning at the beach house this summer, I pull a still sleeping Elle a little closer to me, moving my hand over the shape of her ever growing stomach.  I had woken up pretty early and I knew I still had some time before Elle would wake up, so I let myself relax and enjoy the feel of her in my arms.  For as much as we had done together since we started dating, sleeping the whole night together in a bed wasn't something that had happened before.  This is definitely something I could get used to. 

Elle and I had been surprised when Mom talked about us staying in my room this year.  Although I guess it makes sense since the plan was that my Mom would help us find an apartment together at the end of the summer.  Somewhere of our own for our new family, although somewhere close enough to both of our parents that they would still be able to help us out when we needed it, and I'm sure we are going to need it.  We had talked about living at one of our houses, at least at first but we didn't want to be taking over either of our parent's houses with all the baby stuff.  Although I'm not sure it matters, I think my Mom is already well on her way to filling the house with baby gear, regardless of where the baby is living.

Anyway, sharing a room together this summer would never have been allowed if Elle wasn't pregnant.  Maybe my folks would have looked the other way and let us get away with sneaking in each other's rooms at night but there's no way this sleeping arrangement would have had Mom's approval. 

I was kind of surprised we were even getting to spend this summer at the beach house.  After all the lectures I've been getting from my parents lately about taking responsibility, I thought they would want me to get a job or start doing something to prepare for this baby to come.  I knew I didn't have to get a job to support us right away, my parents had already said they would help us out with whatever we needed.  But I thought it was one of those life lessons Dad was always trying to teach me and that he would want me and Elle to learn to support ourselves.  But, for some reason, they must have decided that maybe what Elle and I really needed this summer was a little calm before the storm, some relaxation and a chance to work on our relationship before we added someone new to the mix. 

I was actually even more surprised that Mike had agreed to let Elle come to the beach house for the summer. For so long I felt like we were still in the doghouse and having to tread carefully around our parents but Elle's dad especially.  Like they were just waiting for a reason to punish us or try to keep us apart.  That has all gotten a lot better this summer.  The times my parents have been around the beach house, we've had some good talks about our plans for the future and even the times we've seen Mike at the family lunches have been much the same.  It seems like everyone is finally on the same page. Yes, Elle and I had screwed up, and now we knew that it was time for us to grow up and take responsibility.

Elle and I had just come out of the water from swimming in the ocean and were walking down the beach hand in hand to dry off.  I know Elle doesn't believe me when I tell her but I don't think I've ever seen her look as beautiful than she has this summer.  Spending most of it in her bikini, with air dried hair, no make-up, and her baby bump getting bigger by the day.  Let me tell you, Elle looks adorable in a bikini these days.  Trying to beat the heat, we've spent most of our time floating in the ocean or holed up in the air conditioning inside the house. 

As we walked down the beach, holding hands, Elle's other hand resting on top of her belly, we walked past a middle aged couple also walking hand in hand. It made me happy to think that could be Elle and I someday.  We both said hi as we walked by, although I noticed the woman eyeing Elle.  We hadn't gotten more than a few feet past them when I heard her say, "That's so sad, pregnant so young."  I looked down at Elle, hoping that she didn't hear but knowing she did when I see the fallen expression on her face.