Chapter 34

A/N - I'm going to pause the alternative chapters for a bit. I don't want the back and forth to take away from this story when I'm only putting out new chapters every week or so.  Plus, right now it's easier for me to concentrate on writing one to version of this story.

Elle

It had been several days since I had discovered all those pictures of Noah with that girl at Harvard. Her name is Chloe. I figured that out when I spent my whole study hall trying to learn what I could about her, instead of studying for my Spanish test like I should have been. I wish I would have left it alone. Knowing more about her hasn't helped at all. From all appearances she is perfect. There are even some pictures with her and Noah on her page that I didn't find earlier because she hadn't tagged him.  It makes me wonder, did he ask her not to tag him so I wouldn't find the pictures and figure out whatever is going on between them? 

My mind keeps spiraling with thoughts of them together.  That must be why Noah hasn't seemed like himself when we've talked lately.  I wish I had someone to talk to but after the last time I talked to Marco about it and felt so much worse, I swore I wouldn't talk about my relationship issues anymore.  So instead I'm letting it brew in my head until it will eventually start to drive me crazy.

I've been holed up in my room avoiding everyone and feeling sorry for myself.  Except even that won't work today because it's Sunday and that means there is a family lunch. It's hard to forget about my problems when I have to go sit with all of Noah's family and answer their questions about how Noah is doing and how we're doing with the long distance.  June is always trying to get more news about Noah from me since she thinks he doesn't tell her anything.  How am I supposed to tell them that he isn't telling me anything either right now?  I do my best to deflect or give vague answers to all the questions I'm asked.

"We haven't had a chance to talk much this week, our schedules haven't lined up."  I don't feel too bad about saying this, it's somewhat true.  Even if we both wanted to talk to each other, it is so hard to find a time when we have the same free time, between the time difference and all the activities we each have.

"Football is keeping him really busy."  This feels like it could be the truth.

"I had some really big tests and assignments due this week, so we had to keep our calls short."  This is the only one that gives me some guilt because it just isn't true.  Some of my classes this year are challenging but I also have some electives that don't ever have homework.  And since I'm not spending any time with my boyfriend and hardly any time with my best friend these days, it's easy to get my homework taken care of.  If we really wanted to talk, there is no way I would use this as an excuse with Noah.  I would stay up later or work during different times of the day to take care of what I needed to.  The me from a couple months ago would always put Noah first.

Of course, I've been using these same excuses over the last couple weeks, ever since our issues started.  Our folks probably didn't think much about my excuses, thinking I just wanted to keep whatever we had talked about to myself.  But I couldn't miss the look Lee shot me as soon as I used the excuse about my schoolwork, at the same time I realized I had used the same excuse last week.  Soon our parents changed to another subject, and I tried to look really interested in my fish tacos so no one would notice I wasn't adding anything to the conversation.

It obviously didn't work on everyone because Lee grabbed me as soon as I stood up from the table.  He didn't even give me a chance to respond, instead asking my dad, "Mike, is it okay if I take Elle home?  I need to ask her some questions about our Spanish homework."

"Sure.  I'll see you in a couple hours, though. I know you still have homework of your own to finish up."  Dad answered, eyeing me sternly.  He knew how afternoons with Lee usually turned out, with me staying there far longer than I was supposed to.  And he's right to think I have homework.  That's what I have been giving him as my excuse for why I don't want to do anything with him and Brad or any of my friends these days.  My excuse for staying holed up in my room feeling sorry for myself.