Alternate Chapter 25

Taking a deep breath, I asked, "What do you want to hear first, the good news or the bad news?"

With raised eyebrows, my Dad answered curiously, "I suppose let's start with the bad." He crossed his arms as he for once gave me his full attention, watching me expectantly.

Shit! This isn't how I planned it at all. Why did I just say that? I guess I didn't want what I was about to say to sound so bad but I know I didn't do myself any favors leading with that question. I'm not even sure what the good news in all this? Then, her face popped into my mind. Elle of course. Elle is the only good part of this. I didn't usually worry much about my dad, he had yelled at me and lectured me too often for it to phase me much anymore. This is different, though. It feels like he has the power to make or break any of the plans Elle and I make. I needed him on our side. Which only made me terrified that I was blowing it already. It reminded me of when I was a kid trying to explain to my dad why I got into my first fight. Telling him the kid was being mean to Elle and Lee didn't seem to be enough of a reason to throw that punch. Not when my Dad was getting calls from the kid's parents and the principal. No matter what I said, Dad just seemed to get more mad at me.

I make myself pause and take a deep breath hoping to continue with what I had actually prepared to say. Before I could start, my Dad must have gotten tired of waiting and asked, "What's the bad news, Noah?"

So instead of starting off how I wanted, I tried to answer Dad's question. "Well, I suppose rather than bad, it could be called disappointing news. Maybe eventually it could even be called good news, depending on how you look at it." My Dad sighed in exasperation and looked like he was about ready to jump in with a question. Before he could interrupt me, I finally spit it out.   "My girlfriend is pregnant." I caught the surprise on Dad's face before I went on.  "I know this isn't ideal timing in our situation but in time could be good. Babies can be good news right?"

My Dad was silent after I told him but that only made me keep rambling. He was usually quick to yell when he was upset so I was thrown by his reaction. I continued with a rush of words, not at all how I had planned to tell him when I had gone through this in my head earlier in the day. "The good news is it's Elle. . . my girlfriend is Elle. Although, I suppose you could say that is the bad news too, that it's Elle that's pregnant. So I guess it's not good news that she's pregnant but she's the good part of all of this." God damn it. What am I even saying? I had been staring at my hands as I talked but as I paused I made myself look directly at my Dad, thinking again about Elle and how much I needed this talk to go well. I needed to make it work for her. I continued, trying to sound more confident than I did, "I love her, Dad. I love her so much and even though we are far too young and we know this is going to challenge all of our plans for our futures, I want to be with her and I want to make this work with her.  We're going to keep the baby." I kept my eye contact with my Dad until I was finished. My Dad's expression was steely when I finally stopped talking. I had practiced a lot of what I wanted to say in my head today although it did not sound nearly as good out loud in front of my Dad as it had in my head, I was happy that I was able to get the last part out. That's what I felt was most important for him to understand.

When he finally responded his voice was quiet, not the yelling I was expecting. "Here I thought you had become more responsible recently. That you were becoming an adult and getting ready for your college life. I haven't had a call from your principal or complaints from your coach in months. But instead you were being the most irresponsible you've ever been in your life. Not only ruining your future but Elle's also? I was so proud when you got into Harvard. What will your future be now?"

Of course he's disappointed, I didn't expect anything different from him. "Mom thinks we can do this."  I countered as I stared defiantly back at him.