Chapter 35

Noah

I felt guilty telling Shelly I wouldn't be able to talk to her until later this week, especially after I talked to Lee a few days later and realized how badly she needed to hear from me. I had my reasons, though. I had a feeling she wouldn't think the wait was so bad once she knew why.  Once she realized the next time we talked wouldn't be over the phone.

As soon as Chloe put the idea to surprise Elle in my head, I made it my mission to make the weekend trip work. I knew it would have to be a quick trip but I got lucky when I found out a week beforehand that my one Friday class was getting cancelled. I immediately booked a flight for Thursday afternoon. Chloe promised she would take care of me in the lab we had together, so I would be able to head out as soon as my morning class was done.  I had to put the call with Elle off for a few days but this way I would be back in LA just in time for our "call".

I had been a bundle of nerves since I made the decision and bought my ticket. I knew that Elle and I had some work to do to fix the problems in our relationship. Honestly, I knew it was going to take more than this weekend visit. But I hoped this would be a good start and now that I had my studies back on track, I would make time in my schedule for us.

Knowing how bad my family is at keeping secrets, I didn't want to tell any of them about my plans much beforehand. I knew how excited my parents would be for my visit and I could just see my Mom accidentally letting it slip at their weekly lunch with the Evans family or sometime while Elle was over at the house. But I knew I needed to have time with Elle while I was there so I would need help from someone to make my plans happen. As much as it hurt me to admit it, I was going to need Lee's help to pull this off.

I put it off as long as I could and finally called him on Sunday night, just a few days before my flight. I expected him to be a pain in the ass when I called, like he usually is. But even so, our call did not go quite as I had expected.

The phone seemed to ring forever before Lee finally picked up. He answered, a little out of breath. "Hey, Noah! What did you do wrong that you're calling me? Need bail money?"

"Very funny, Lee. Good to talk to you too." I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me over the phone.

"But for real. Noah, you never call me."

"I know. Although between Mom and Elle, I hear so much about you, I don't feel like I need to call."

"Fair. So, what is it you do need from me then?"

"Now I feel like a shit brother for only calling when I need something. But I do need help and I think you're the only one that can do it."

"This better have something to do with fixing things with Elle." The joking had gone out of his voice.

I sighed before answering. "I figured you know all about it. You probably have a better idea what is going on than I do." I told him honestly. For once I was thinking that it was good that Elle told him everything. I was hoping it would play in my favor this time.

"I don't know about that. And I actually feel horrible that I didn't even know anything was wrong until earlier today."

"Really? Elle didn't say anything earlier? Things have been going downhill for awhile." I responded, a little shocked at Lee's confession. 

"I realize that now. I've been spending a lot of time with Rachel lately. Between that and football, I guess Shelly and I haven't been hanging out that much."

"What the hell, Lee? You're her best friend and you know how hard things have been since I left." Now I felt even worse about how things have played out between me and Elle. I thought that she would be so busy enjoying her senior year that she wouldn't mind that we weren't talking as much as we did when I first left. But not only does she have a shitty boyfriend, apparently she has a shitty best friend too.