Chapter 16

Noah

My conversation with Jayden runs through my mind on my drive home.  I'm on my motorcycle, since I didn't drive Elle today.  Driving my motorcycle used to help me unwind, feeling the wind in my face and the speed of my bike beneath me, but I don't feel any better after the drive home today.  Riding isn't the same without Elle's arms wrapped around me, giggling in my ear.  Really nothing has been the same these last few days without her around.  Once I get home, I stop by the kitchen to say hi to Mom.  I grab a Gatorade from the fridge as she asks about my day.  I notice her slight frown at my attitude, I know she can tell that things have been off with me lately, but she doesn't say anything about it.  I don't know how she does it, but even though I don't tell her a lot about what is going on with me these days, she always seems to know what I'm feeling.

As I leave the kitchen to go back up to my room, I hear the commotion in the backyard.  Looking out the window, I see Lee and his friends in the pool.  I find myself automatically looking around for Elle, but it looks like it's just a bunch of guys.  Once I realize our place is Elle free, I glance down at my phone, something I find myself doing far too often.  I've gotten too used to the texts from Elle that were so common up until all communication stopped a few days ago.  I think about reaching out to her now, but decide I'm not quite ready.  Despite Jayden thinking this fight was all my fault, I don't feel like I'm in the wrong.  She is the one who picked her best friend over her boyfriend.  The ball is in her court on this one.  She knows how I feel and until she's willing to talk to Lee, there really isn't anything for us to talk about. 

I go straight to my room and decide to work on homework before supper.  Although it's a Friday night, I have no desire to be around anyone else today.  It's been a long week and I want nothing more than to be miserable by myself.  I hear the doorbell ring and a few minutes later, my mom yells that pizza is here.  As I make my way down to an empty kitchen, I realize the pizza is out by the pool where Lee and his friends are already digging in.  I don't feel like seeing them, but I'm hungry, so I make my way outside anyway.  As soon as I open the sliding glass door, I'm stopped in my tracks when I hear a familiar voice.  I'm not sure when Elle showed up, she must have been here for awhile, though.  She's in her bikini and she's obviously been in the pool.  I'm not sure how long I'm staring at her before I finally make myself move forward before someone notices me creeping around out here.

I'm hoping maybe I can grab my pizza and go without Elle noticing I'm here.  She's talking to a girl I don't recognize.  I grab a few pieces of pizza without even paying attention to what kind it is and turn to run back into the house when one of Elle and Lee's friends, Dixon, comes up next to me and starts talking.  We've always gotten along so I don't want to be rude to him and I decide that maybe I can at least get some information from him, so I know what this crew is up to for the night.  Maybe it wouldn't hurt to hang out with them and give Elle a chance to talk to me, if she wants.  Of course, she most likely won't do that with Lee around.

Before taking a bite of my pizza, I ask Dixon, "Who's the girl hanging around Elle?"

"Allie?  She a Junior and plays soccer with Elle.  I have a couple classes with her but don't really know her.  I guess she and Elle have been inseparable lately. Why, you interested?" 

Interesting, Elle's been spending time with a friend besides Lee.  I go to respond to Dixon when Elle looks in our direction and our eyes lock.  Elle's face breaks into a smile, until she looks away from me too quickly.  My mind goes blank and I completely lose my train of thought.  Did Dixon ask me a question?  I decided to ignore whatever he said and questioned, "So, what are you guys up to tonight?"

"I think we're just going to take it easy and hang out by the pool tonight.  We're planning to go to Greg's party tomorrow night."

"Everyone is?"