Chapter 2

A week before Christmas break, Olivia received a letter.

Filthy Rat,

    I have received news that you are a god-awful Gryffindor. If I hear that you are conversing with Weasels now, you are banned from attending Hogwarts and I will revoke your library privileges. Now, you are coming to the Manor for Christmas to await your punishment.

    The note remained unsigned but it was obvious who wrote it. Olivia replied.

    No. I will not be returning for Christmas break, as lovely as your invitation was. And furthermore, I am not talking to any member of the Weasley Family. I do not even like the twins that are in my year, they prank everyone. I will see you at the end of the year and will face my "punishment" then. For ten months out of the year, I am free of you, and it will stay that way. I do not care if you are a bloody school governor. You are leaving me the hell alone.

    Sincerely, the half-blood disgrace you refuse to call family.

    With the newfound confidence of sending the letter to Lucius. Olivia decided it was finally time to get closer with her bunkmates. It was a bit easier because the only one staying at Hogwarts for Christmas was Angelina.

    After taking a deep breath, Olivia called out to her, who just got back from saying goodbye to everyone. "Hey, Angelina? Can we talk?"

    If Angelina was surprised that Olivia was talking to her, she didn't show it. "Hey girl what's up?"

    "I'm sorry."

    "For what?" she asked, sitting on her bed across from Olivia's.

    "For not talking to you. All the students were overwhelming and I needed time to adjust. I am just sorry it took so long. When the others get back I am going to talk to them as well," Olivia rushed out.

    "Girl, I was not worried. We are eleven, well now twelve for me, and we moved to a new school far away from our families. Of course, it is overwhelming, others are just better at adjusting. You are not alone."

    "Oh thank Merlin. Why are you staying here for Christmas if you don't mind me asking?"

    "Oh my father has a new girlfriend and he is taking her to Greece. They never last long, usually after a month-long vacation, they leave. I never have to worry about a step-mom in my future. Good thing we would never have to explain magic to her. That would be quite a conversation. How about you?"

    "Oh, I am pretty sure the relatives are off in Paris this week. They usually spend Christmas in Paris then back for a New Years Ball."

    "They? Are you not included in this Christmas vacation," Angelina asked, catching on to Olivia's phrasing.

    "Uhhh yeah. I use the time to take a break from them. It is honestly not bad. I watch the snowfall, the gardens are magnificent this time of year. Then I curl up by the fire and read 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. My dad used to always read that to me when I was younger." Olivia got a dreamy look thinking about her father.

    "What happened to him?"

    "He and my mum were in a muggle car crash when I was four. I moved in with my uncle and his family afterward. Anyways," Olivia said, trying to move past the subject of the Malfoys, "happy late birthday." She reached into her nightstand and grabbed a piece of paper then went to Angelina's bed across the way and gave it to her.

    "What's this?"

    "A sketch of you..." she trailed off rubbing the back of her neck.

    "This is- this is amazing. You drew this?" She looked up in awe at Olivia.