CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

ATHANASIA'S POV

"Don't do it," biglang bungad sa akin ni Bangun nang pagbuksan ko siya ng pinto. "Athanasia, I'm telling you to stop it." Hinayaan ko na lang na siya ang magsara ng pinto ng unit ko saka ako nagbalak na bumalik sa kwarto ko para ipagpatuloy ang pag-aayos ng aking itsura. Kaya lang ay hinarangan pa rin niya ang dadaanan ko. "Athanasia, listen to me." He looked close to begging.

I flatly looked at him. "Bangun, he might have the answers. Maybe that's the sole reason why we met. Maybe it wasn't completely a coincidence." Maglalakad na sana ulit ako pero humarang na naman siya. "I thought we're already done with this topic over the phone?"

Worry was written all over his face, but he still tried to remove it and harden his face. "If you don't listen to me, I might just have to lock you up in here, Athanasia."

"Try and my want to talk to Benjie would double and even you won't be able to do anything about it," I threatened him back.

"Then I'm going with you." I glared at him. "And that's final, Athanasia. It's either I join you whenever you're meeting that mortal or I'll finish him where he stands."

"Sa kakaganyan mo, mas napaghahalataan kong may koneksyon siya sa misyon ko o sa kagustuhan kong mawala na ng tuluyan sa mundong ito." I took a step closer to him. "That's all I want, Bangun. I desire to die. Please, let me."

Iniwas niya ang tingin niya sa akin. "I... I can't let that happen, Athanasia."

I softly cupped his face with both of my hands and made him face me. "Please..." I begged with the softest voice. I'm done with this world. I can no longer live in it for even another year. I want it to end now.

Hindi ko naman namalayang dahan-dahang lumalapit ang mukha niya sa akin. I suddenly felt nervous about what he's doing. I can feel my heart pounding loudly as the distance between us gets shorter and shorter.

I did what I knew was the most appropriate thing to do, and that is to close my eyes and give him a headbutt.

He immediately growled and pulled away while holding his head. "Damn, Athanasia. What was that for?" reklamo niya.

I looked everywhere except at him. "It was your fault anyway. You're being too weird. I'm out of here." Nagmamadali akong pumasok sa kwarto ko saka ni-lock ang pinto. I quickly put my hand over my chest, trying to feel my fast heartbeat.

Why the heck is it beating so fast anyway? And why the hell was Bangun acting so weird?

I took deep breaths to calm myself down as I cleared my mind. Once done, I went back to making myself presentable since I remembered I needed to get a meeting with Officer Benjie.

I made sure that I'm satisfied with how I looked before picking up my phone and composing a text message for Officer Benjie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

Good evening, Sir. I hope I'm not disturbing you at all, but can I speak with you? It's about the case. Thank you so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sent the message before laying on my back in my chair. I need to find the answers to my questions. I'm pretty sure that Bangun won't be able to give them to me, so I need other sources.

And as for Officer Benjie, he might be related to that man. I have met tons of blue-eyed people in a century but no one has ever made me feel terrified before.

Maybe... just maybe... Officer Benjie is his reincarnation.

May it be a yes or a no, I need to know.

I was busy thinking about what my mission was all about when my phone suddenly vibrated. I quickly turned it on to see the Officer's response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

Magandang gabi rin po sa inyo, Miss. Sige lang ho. Saan ho ba at kailan po?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That made me smile a little, but when I realized what I had done, I quickly erased it. What's with the smile, Asia‽

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

Same place, Officer, if that's okay with you. I'm also hoping to meet you today at 9:30 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiningnan ko naman ang orasan. It's already nine, I hope his response is positive.

My phone then vibrated once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

Noted po, Miss. Pero baka ho ma-late ako ng ilang minuto at baka ho may traffic pa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

That's fine with me, Officer. Thank you for accepting my invitation. Drive safely and see you later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nang mapindot ko ang send ay saka ko lang na-realize ang tinype ko. Really, Asia? Drive safely and see you later? Does that look professional to you at all? Napailing na lang ako.

I won't be able to take it back anyway. I'll just pretend that I'm a kind citizen, who badly wants to leave this world.

And just when I thought I was the last text, my phone vibrated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: SPO3 Benjie Caylo

Salamat po, Ma'am. Ingat din po kayo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes actually grew wider at the same pace as the unknown smile on my lips. I wasn't expecting him to reply, and I definitely did not expect that I'll smile at his message.

I shook my head. What the hell is going on with me? Why is this happening?

Nanatili lamang akong nakatingin sa phone ko hanggang sa lumipas ang oras at nine-twenty PM na. I have decided to leave my room, which brought me to surprise when I saw Bangun in the living room, sitting comfortably on my couch.

I guess he noticed my presence so he turned his head in my direction. "I guess you're ready to leave and already done smiling like a fool in front of your phone." He sounded more pissed than usual but I didn't think of it that much.

I just rolled my eyes at him and grabbed my purse. "I'm going whether you join me or not," I nonchalantly told him. And as I neared the door, I felt Bangun's presence behind me.

"I badly want to stop you, Athanasia," he whispered in my ears in a very low voice that sent shivers down my bones. "I badly want to lock you up here... with or without me, though I prefer the former one." I stood there, gripping the doorknob, feeling my knees getting weaker. "Athanasia, there's something I need to tell you."

I wanted to hear what he was going to say but unfortunately, I felt my world spinning, and darkness slowly swallowed me.